FJ40 Air Conditioning choices Vintage Air or CCOT (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Heres a pic of the vapir3 installed...
F6934CF5-17D4-40E3-B2FE-8F8968079FFC.jpeg

VTA-671400-VUZ_xl.jpg
The Vintage Air guy said that Icon does their own thing and utilizes VintageAir parts.
The vent assembly can be removed with screws, so I'm guessing they just order a manifold from vintage air that allows for installing air ducts instead in place of the front vent piece/bulk vent assembly. The Vintage Air chevy nova kit uses such a manifold instead of the bulk vent assembly the 40 kit has.

Last edited:
Hi guys, been looking at this as well. After following up on the links in this thread as well as other sources I believe these are the options for AC/heater combinations which replace the original heater in 2019 (some products mentioned before have been discontinued - correct me if I am wrong or incomplete):
- No AC: 0 USD. Retrofit AC's are overrated (airflow not ideal, noisy, expensive)
- Vintage Air Gen IV: 1480 USD (+ 205 for high perf blower), good reviews, uses up some glove box space, design less "retro" with round vents, high perf blower mounted at 90 deg angle - so less visible, noisy fan
- Restomod Vapir III: 950 USD, uses up glove box and looks a bit bulky in the passenger footwell, seems to blow mainly on passenger, unless holes are drilled in dash with extra vents. Not clear if available RHD
- TPI 4x4: 1449 USD, claims to be "improved vintage air" (?) looks looks like vintage air gen IV, not clear if available RHD
- Nostalgic AC: 1092 USD, nice "retro" square vent design, quite wide vents mounted centrally under dash but blowing mainly to passenger, does not use glove box, available for RHD
- Old Air Products: approx 1200 USD (2100 system) no specific Toyota kit available, so not sure which one is most applicable. Nice retro design with central ventilation unit in the location of the existing heater and ducting to loose vents, which can be installed in the bottom dash pad if you have one (as shown in this thread). Interestingly they sell a "mock up case" @ 72.50 USD to see how it fits before actually buying the thing. They also give the option how you want to mount your controls (in dash or not), if you want square or round vents and the size of condensor. Not sure if it will fit in a RHD
- Classic Auto Air: no specific Toyota kit available, so not sure which one is applicable

All systems: may need new higher power radiator fan and alternator
I have been focusing a bit on RHD options as well as something that will cool the kids/dogs in the back (having a troopy) ... suggestions welcome!

I went with Old Air Products IP-3100- Inside Package A/C, Heat and Defrost System Lower Fittings, Electronic. Bought that and the hose kit. Was $666 shipped with a military discount.

My plan is to fit a VA SureFit system under the passenger seat [RHD] and run ducting from there - two to the dash and two behind the seat [FJ45], though final positioning of the ducting and vents will be dependant on aesthetics as well as functionality. I will be running a heat/cool unit as I have ditched the stock heater. This method will require raising the pax seat by 2", but it's round tube so that won't be an issue.

As a past insulation industry worker, the biggest thing you can do to make and keep temperature and NVH gains is insulation. You cannot beat a thermal barrier, period. I will be installing Dynamat Extreme and then yoga mats [amazing NVH properties] on top in modular sections and then a factory floor mat. Dynamat will also line the firewall in two layers, inside the doors, the rear panel and the roof. Exhaust will be wrapped as well.

Hi Cult45, do you have any pictures on how you did this? I am interested because a) I am not too happy with the bulky under dash mountings and b) I am looking for some rear facing vents for rear passengers (dogs/kids) in the rear of my HJ47 troopy: I have forward facing seats there as well, which will be mounted in such a way that passengers can exit through the rear ambulance doors.

With regards to insulation: how much m2 of dynamat did you use to do your vehicle (long wheel base FJ45?) and where did you use it - I imagine obviously behind door cards and under floor mats/front seats, but how far to the rear and up the firewall did you go? Thx

I went with Old Air Products IP-3100- Inside Package A/C, Heat and Defrost System Lower Fittings, Electronic. Bought that and the hose kit. Was $666 shipped with a military discount.
I couldn't see what the difference was between the 3 models (1100, 2100 and 3100). Can you explain?

For rear passengers in a troopy u could mount a second ac unit using a generic under dash kit under the front seat aiming rearward. They are cheap and small.
anyone know how to determine the size of compressor and condensor if you add a unit like this to the front unit (I am assuming that a bigger compressor and condensor are needed)? I just a mechanical engineer - electrics confuse me ;) Also: what is a good size in terms of CFM? I like that this example is small, but don't want to end up with complaints from the back bench ...

anyone know how to determine the size of compressor and condensor if you add a unit like this to the front unit (I am assuming that a bigger compressor and condensor are needed)? I just a mechanical engineer - electrics confuse me ;) Also: what is a good size in terms of CFM? I like that this example is small, but don't want to end up with complaints from the back bench ...

I would just call old air on Monday. They are super nice and very knowledgeable.

@thecrazygreek Did you order/install a Vapir III? And if so, do you have any pics of the install?

Think I found a evap/blower unit that could be used in the rear of a fj40 to keep rear occupants cool...

I ended up installing the partial kit from Old Air Products. Like the new kit from Vintage Aire, it also uses servos for heat and defrost. I went a little silly and cut holes in my lower dash pads for the vents as I just didn't want ducting hanging from under the dash. I understand that what I did may be a little too extreme for a lot of folks, but I personally like the way it came out.
View attachment 1606781 View attachment 1606782

I didn't like the chrome vent bezels so I dunked them in Purple Cleaner overnight to remove the chrome.

View attachment 1606784

Overall, I'm happy so far with the kit although calling it a kit is somewhat of a misnomer. It's really just some universal parts with (an awful wiring diagram). I ultimately dumped the supplied firewall brackets in favor of a homemade unit because Old Air's were so cheesy. I like how the evaporator doesn't intrude into the passenger footwell area and looks a little more like a factory heater.
When my time comes I will be asking for pointers on replicating your AC install. Very nice

I typically roll with my windows down, but AC is very nice to have when needed.......like yesterday on my way home. Caught in an Electrified Georgia Toad Stomper, rolled the windows up, turned on the AC, and blasted that cold air in my rig!!!!

IMG_1319.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom