Holley Sniper Install. 74 F.5 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Steamer

SILVER Star
Threads
The Sniper 2300 basic kit has been sitting in my living room for several months and I’m just now getting around to it. My installation may or may not be helpful since my rig isn’t typical. Not typical meaning my rig is used for swamp transportation only and has been gutted of a lot of stuff that just doesn’t get used. Items gone include the entire braking system, heater & blower system, wipers, windshield and all stock wiring. What’s left is a de-smogged F.5 with a D.U.I and lots of room to work with.

For a manifold adapter I got the Mr. Gasket 1937 and planned to elongate the mounting holes. After looking at it, I didn’t like it and got a 1” thick block of aluminum, hole saws, end mill and flapper wheels to make my own but then I ran across the black anodized adapter from Redline. Pricey but I got it and am very pleased with it. I also added a 1/2” thick phenolic insulator on top of the adapter.

I’m installing 3/8” O.D. copper/nickel hard lines with 6 AN fittings for supply and return and have short runs of Russell 6 AN Twist Lock hose on the passenger side between the engine and the body or frame.

For a pre-filter I’m using the Racor 320R-Rac-02 10-micron filter/separator since it was already in use and is mounted to the passenger side firewall.

Post filter is the Earl’s 10 micron 230606ERL

My pump is the inline Walbro GSL 394 with the mounting clamps and sleeve. It’s mounted to the passenger side fender well.

My fuel tank is a self-made aluminum that sits under the seats and the supply and return bungs are in the bottom with 3/8 shut of valves.

Before I started the install, I painted the engine the best I could while in place. Also had the manifolds sandblasted and treated them with the Eastwood gray high temp coating.

Pics to come when the rain lets up.

Fuel system finished.
Feel free to make fun of my 10" aluminum cake pan air cleaner. Been doing that with all my carbs. My friends tease me and will expect no other with the fuel injection.
A heat shield will get fabbed up soon.

SniperInst 01.jpg

As mentioned in another thread I have a bad fuel regulator and a new one is on the way.
A while ago I pulled the Sniper back off to open up the fuel regulator for a look. The screws were super tight with lock-tite and I feared stripping the hex head screws but finally got them out.
With the screws out, the cover pushed out like it was spring loaded. With the cover off I could see it was installed crooked and the cover being forced on had bent the regulator. Sloppy assembly by Holley.

Reg 01.jpg

Reg 02.jpg

Fuel system finished.
Feel free to make fun of my 10" aluminum cake pan air cleaner. Been doing that with all my carbs. My friends tease me and will expect no other with the fuel injection.
A heat shield will get fabbed up soon.

View attachment 2068296

NICE PLUMBING WORK! Gotta see more pics of the fuel line connections......:steer:

Id love to see a picture of the whole rig.

my rig is used for swamp transportation only and has been gutted of a lot of stuff that just doesn’t get used. Items gone include the entire braking system, heater & blower system, wipers, windshield and all stock wiring. What’s left is a de-smogged F.5 with a D.U.I and lots of room to work with.

Entire braking system gone? curious...

Entire braking system gone? curious...
Maintaining breaks in the Everglades muck is tough. Axles spend a lot of time submerged. Average speed where I wheel is 3 to 6 mph. In the mud with 39.5 x 15 Swampers @ 4 psi you just let off the gas to stop.

Forward of the firewall, what didn't rust off or fall off, I took off.
Fabbed up some body work out of emt, .090 aluminum and diamond plate.
Hey, it works for out there. It's still a 40 on the inside.

Rig 03.jpg

You need to loose that jeep looking bib and go back to a 40 bib.
I know. Had to do something. The rest of the body is dissolving away also, and for what I use it for,, body parts are just too pricey. Who knows what this thing may transform into. Jeeez! I may have to move over to the hardcore corner.

Just put the Sniper back on while I’m waiting on the regulator. Now that the lock tighted little screws are loose and never seized, I can open it easily while in place. They have lock washers on there. Don't see the need for locktite.

I like making cover plates for most any engine opening. They sure come in handy and so much better than rags or plastic bags and will last forever.

SniperInst 02.jpg

SniperInst 03.jpg

Last edited:
how about some pics of the pretty stuff under the hood? ya know, true beauty goes beyond what's on the outside, right?

ahh, that's what I'm talking about!

A little tight getting that big Racor filter and the pump plumbed in. Needed hose between the two as the tub moves a bit and the fender does not. Didn’t get to run the pump long enough to see how loud it is.

SniperInst 06.jpg

My tube bending experience in the steamfitting trade came in handy. I had to get a new flaring tool though. The AN fittings use a 37 degree flare opposed to the 45 degree flare like is used in the HVAC trades.

Wasn’t sure if the aluminum AN wrenches were gimmicky but gave them a try. They’re supposed to protect the anodized finish from scratching. Glad I got them. They're short and help getting into tight places and feel good in the hand.

SniperInst 07.jpg

Got the cable from Downey. The fitting bolted to the throttle lever is Lokar. Got an assortment ball kit from Holley to find a ball with a 1/4-20 stud. Didn't like sloppy fit of the tiny stud that came with the Lokar. I made the brackets.
I had mechanical linkage prior and this was how I converted to cable. I just drilled off the ball and put on this cable fitting. Much easier than I was expecting. Although not having a master cylinder in the way helped. And ignore that all thread rod that's holding down the tub as the tub mounts are dissolving away also.

SniperInst 09.jpg

SniperInst 10.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom