First timer- first look (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Good morning!

Just purchased this ‘85 pickup from a friend, it has a 1KZ-TE turbo engine (manual) swapped in from a previous owner. Friend didn’t do anything besides changing fluids.

My limited engine knowledge comes from gas engines (old mustangs/ FJ40)- this is my first diesel - and I’m learning as I go.

Looking for pointers on:

-preventative maintenance
-fuel additives? I was told to think about “everyday diesel treatment”
-EGT gauge? Good idea or a must
-other things to look for

Any pointers would be appreciated. She starts great and runs solid - just want to make sure I take care of this thing. I have called around a few diesel / auto shops around me, and no-one has had experience with this engine.

Thank you!

Quint

86D5E6A4-7A74-43F2-AC2A-983943DC747E.jpeg

FCDCC96F-A61F-4F1E-AC04-C35A1ADBB1FE.png

E93AD8C6-1E79-4D50-8B22-7D94323BD50F.jpeg

preventative maintenance: Not too familiar with these engines, but most diesels are pretty easy to diagnose issues. Keep an eye our for smoke at startup or hard acceleration for telltales of issues starting to present.

fuel additives: most places are now selling ULSD (ultra low sulfur diesel) which is not nearly as lubricating as the older stuff. I don't know if the 1KZ pump is lubed by engine oil like the old 3Bs or by the fuel, but it is most likely by the fuel. This means you will do well to use an additive in each tank to add back a little lube. I am in SoCal so it does not get cold enough to gel so I use a summer blend additive (Opti-Lube). If you search, there is a big test that was done on the best additives based on a wear test and many don't do crap so find that before you spend a lot of money.

EGT gauge: Must. Period. No other gauge will let you know if issues faster than a good EGT gauge. You will see issues with your air, fuel and injection system way earlier than anything else as you see different temperature behavior with normal driving. Plus it will help you tune the truck better if you ever decide to upgrade the turbo or add an intercooler.

other things to look for: Not familiar with this engine as much as others, I do think that this engine had a dual mass flywheel that most people junk and replace with a standard flywheel if they need to work on the clutch. Other than that, read about diesels on this forum and you will have lots of fun with that engine and truck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom