First Gen Sequioa 4x4 Center Diff Lock Defeating Traction Control (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone, recently sold my triple locked LX450 to a fellow Mud Member and have been hunting for a pickup truck for a WHILE. Either a 1999-2002 Z71 or 2003-2006 Tundra TRD 4x4. Well, the pickings are SLIM out here. But I have noticed a few Sequioas here and there. I mainly wanted the truck to haul our kayaks out to the river without having to load on top, but if I have to "settle" for a large SUV, the Sequioa looks like the top bill at this point.

My question is about the 4x4, I have been reading about the VSC or ATRAC system giving people problems offroad and the only way to turn it off is to go to 4-LOW and low gear on the auto trans. This seems kind of like a blunder to me, especially if you need some wheel spin and don't want power cut while in a situation etc.

So my question is, did they discontinue this at some point? Is there a way to manually lock the center diff and override the traction control? Sort of like the hazard switch mod on the FZJ80's? I know the 4runners started coming with a switch to shut that off but can't find any real facts, any help would be appreciated!

Thank you!

I have a 04 Sequoia, without ATRAC. When you lock the center diff, it disables the VSC and Traction control, even in 4H.

I have a 04 Sequoia, without ATRAC. When you lock the center diff, it disables the VSC and Traction control, even in 4H.

Perfect, and how it should be! Do you know what year they started coming with the center diff lock button/switch?

See what I mean, a hardcore Toyota enthusiasts board and there still isn't a definitive answer to this VSC issue.

I have an 05, and with the center diff locked it turns off the VSC, but not the TRAC. I believe that at least with my year sequoia, there is no way to turn of the TRAC system. I seem to remember it working even in 4L, Low gear and the center diff locked. If I can, I'll play with it this weekend and report back.

I mispoke above. Retroguy has it right, the VSC turns off when center diff is engaged, not the traction control. This occurs in 4H and 4L.

Sorry I took so long to respond. With MY vehicle, it would appear that the TRAC system is always on. I ran it this weekend in 4H D,3,2,L and 4L D,3,2,L with and without the center diff lock in a spot I knew I'd be cross axled and slightly uphill and the TRAC system worked in every scenario.

It's my impression that trac is just a limited slip system, but there seems to be a lot of disagreement about how it functions. Some seem to suggest that it will cut the throttle when wheel slip occurs, just like VSC. When my center diff is locked, I have never experienced that. So I agree, TRAC good, VSC not so much.

I have an 05, and with the center diff locked it turns off the VSC, but not the TRAC. I believe that at least with my year sequoia, there is no way to turn of the TRAC system. I seem to remember it working even in 4L, Low gear and the center diff locked. If I can, I'll play with it this weekend and report back.

My O6 Tundra TRD had ZERO way to disable the ABS. That is NOT cool when your on a 4wd road, 12" inch's from a cliff and don't want the ABS to engage. Simple solution. I just pulled a wire to a front wheel so that the ABS would freak out and disable itself. Problem solved. Just plug it in on the way home. With out the speed sensor at the wheel non of these system will work. YMMV. Not sure how hard it is to do on some trucks and if it throws a permeant code or not.

I have an 01 Limited Sequoia, mine doesn't have the center diff lock button, but it does lock in 4 Low. I have found an easy way to disable the TRAC system. There is a small fluid level sensor in the brake master reservoir, you simply unplug the sensor and the TRAC and VSC are disabled. The dash lights light up...I will be wiring a simple switch going to the cab that disconnects one lead. One thing is that you must turn the truck off and re-start to get the TRAC/ VSC to work again after you plug the sensor back in. I live in central Canada where there is snow and ice for 6 months of the year and the constant beeping and ABS actuation is annoying.

I have to look into if there is a way to lock the center diff while in 4 Hi.....Anyone have wiring diagrams?

In my '04 Sequoia, I've resorted to unplugging the brake fluid level sensor on the MC like Bciperformance said. It also disables ABS.

There is a write up called The Andy Mod, in which you cut either one of the wires on the fluid level sender and wire it through a switch that you mount on the dash.you can then shut everything off with a flip of the switch but to turn everything back on, you have to restart the truck.

I have the '03 sequoia and it has a centerlock diferential with the button on the front panel next to the 4 wheel drive button.

Hey everyone, recently sold my triple locked LX450 to a fellow Mud Member and have been hunting for a pickup truck for a WHILE. Either a 1999-2002 Z71 or 2003-2006 Tundra TRD 4x4. Well, the pickings are SLIM out here. But I have noticed a few Sequioas here and there. I mainly wanted the truck to haul our kayaks out to the river without having to load on top, but if I have to "settle" for a large SUV, the Sequioa looks like the top bill at this point.

My question is about the 4x4, I have been reading about the VSC or ATRAC system giving people problems offroad and the only way to turn it off is to go to 4-LOW and low gear on the auto trans. This seems kind of like a blunder to me, especially if you need some wheel spin and don't want power cut while in a situation etc.

So my question is, did they discontinue this at some point? Is there a way to manually lock the center diff and override the traction control? Sort of like the hazard switch mod on the FZJ80's? I know the 4runners started coming with a switch to shut that off but can't find any real facts, any help would be appreciated!

Thank you!
Not really sure my 04 doesnt have Traction control or ABS anymore

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom