Extreme built A442f AT or H151 manual swap Poll (1 Viewer)

A442f 4 speed Extreme rebuild or H151 5 speed swap

• Manual swap

Votes: 6 66.7%
  • Extreme auto rebuild

Votes: 3 33.3%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So after Supercharging I'm looking at the next step. My current Transmission is the 4 speed A442f. It still feels strong on low end and downshifts fine. No slipping that I can feel. 4 speed always fells kind of slow to down shift and very lazy on upshift at anything other then cruise speed.
Now with the added HP and Torque the trans down shifts ok and still pulls strong. The main problem is now transmission will not make the 2-3 shift while at wide open throttle any more. I have to lift pedal to make the shift or hit rev limit. This can happen for any upshift but 2--3 is the one mostly used and causing the problem.

So it's time to make a decision. Do I have Wholesale Auto in Aus rebuild another AT and ship ot over to me or do I have it converted to 5 speed manual? I'm in Dubai so both are possible for about the same price.

Open to any and all thoughts .

I'm leaning towards Manual mostly because "why not" . Also, no more worrying about electronic control and issues from that since I'm only using OEM ECU to control trans and gauges at this point.

2 more years and counting before I will ship it home to US with or without me. 😀

Last edited:
I like a good manual, but offroading is much easier in an automatic. I guess it depends on your use case when you get back to the states.

I like a good manual, but offroading is much easier in an automatic. I guess it depends on your use case when you get back to the states.
If I'm being honest it's been forever since I was offroad at home. Only mud in Louisiana where I'm from. It will likely be destined to mall crawl and be my daily driver. Maybe a muddy parking area or two every now and then. I know it's a bit over kill to have a triple locked , Supercharged, 5 speed for that but what can I say i just like Land Cruisers haha

I mean at least it looks 100% grandpaw stock from the outside .

For hitting the dunes like in your avatar then a manual would probably be the most fun and perform the best. I like auto in mine just for the lean back and cruise aspect and I can let family borrow it etc. Can you put the 5-speed A750F automatic in the early 100s?
I'm sure there is a way but would need new ecu etc and probably open up another rabbit hole project haha

:popcorn:

Getting closer.

Screenshot_20221010_204611.jpg

Couple pics. Went with everything new down to the Teflon washers in trans shift linkeage . Only parts that are used are the transmission/bellhousing , clutch fork, and brake pedal arm. Even found OEM gauge cluster cover so auto lights are blanked.
Ordered the snap in cup holders and need to get this thing cleaned. Cleanliness is not top priority at most shops here.
Shifts smooth but need to finally swap front diffbushings. Can feel little clunky in first.

Screenshot_20221013-151152_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20221013-151121_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20221013-151115_Photos.jpg

20221013_124830.jpg

Ah I’m a new owner to a 100 but I’m guessing that’s not possible here in the states for only $3500
Probably not installed with labor cost in US. Parts here to seem readily available.
I think you could get all the parts needed and shipped for close to that but would then need to do the work yourself. Nothing looked difficult to me but I don't have a place to work on my own cars here. If I was back in US I am confident I could do the swap with little help .

So after Supercharging I'm looking at the next step. My current Transmission is the 4 speed A442f. It still feels strong on low end and downshifts fine. No slipping that I can feel. 4 speed always fells kind of slow to down shift and very lazy on upshift at anything other then cruise speed.
Now with the added HP and Torque the trans down shifts ok and still pulls strong. The main problem is now transmission will not make the 2-3 shift while at wide open throttle any more. I have to lift pedal to make the shift or hit rev limit. This can happen for any upshift but 2--3 is the one mostly used and causing the problem.

So it's time to make a decision. Do I have Wholesale Auto in Aus rebuild another AT and ship ot over to me or do I have it converted to 5 speed manual? I'm in Dubai so both are possible for about the same price.

Open to any and all thoughts .

I'm leaning towards Manual mostly because "why not" . Also, no more worrying about electronic control and issues from that since I'm only using OEM ECU to control trans and gauges at this point.

2 more years and counting before I will ship it home to US with or without me. 😀
I have agonised over options for my 4speed A442f for a while and finally got some coin together to bolt on all the Wholesale Automatic goodies such as billet converter and their Extreme valve body. My local transmission shop Mainstreet Transmissions in Hamilton New Zealand managed to add some extra clutch packs in while they did the upgrade. Am putting down 300hp at all 4 wheels currently and my auto was giving me grief with the slush box shuffle. I go back on the dyno for a tweak this week now that I have a "bullet proof" box. Probably a big overspend at $10,000 but my one owner (me) vehicle is now good for another lap around the clock. I am more than halfway to 1M kms at 560,000 currently.
I would have liked a more modern 6 speed to bolt on behind my tweaked 1HDFTE but have been unable to find anyone who has worked out that arrangement. I have read that the 5 speed is apparently not as sturdy as the bus transmission A442F so stayed with the 4speed. I was fortunate to locate another lower mileage A442F (200km) for the shop to work on to reduce the turnaround time and also did the seals on the transfer box while it was out of the vehicle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom