Elephant hose mod (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
When i owned my 2003 VW TDI Golf i did a common mod known as the Elephant mod. It was essentially a hose with a filter that ran in-between the air intake and valve cover. You know, where all the atomized oil runs into the air intake, mixes with other gasses and gums up your air plenum over the duration of use. The filter would collect the oil vapors essentially cleaning the valve cover air of some/most oil before it entered the air intake. One would empty the re-useable filter housing at the same time as regular oil changes.

Why is there zero conversation on this? (Cant find anything in search regarding) Especially with turbo and egr cruisers? Anyone who has deleted their egr's or opened up their intake manifold after 100k+ km of use has obviously noticed the accumulation of gunk on their air intake.

Now, i know a lot of you just run a hose from the valve cover into a "catch can" and plug the air intake hose side. I don't particularly like this as now your valve cover is venting to atmosphere, where as before its an enclosed system, like the toyota engineers designed it to be.

Is anyone running an elephant hose mod?

Thoughts, criticisms and personal experience welcome.

VW ELEPHANT MOD.png

many catch cans have a outlet that you run back to the air intake so they’re not actually vented to atmosphere but they perform the same duty removing most atomized particles before going back into the system just like the elephant hose you describe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom