Does anyone else H8 that toyota limits is to >17" rim (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
If toyota makes some of the best offroad vehicles in the world, and offroad tires have very few options in 17", then why the heck would toyota limit it's consumers to 17"?

There is a plethora of tire options in 15 and 16 inch. From regular muddies like bfg km2 to super swampers. Most brands make 15 and 16 in all types of muddies.

For example:
Most brands offer load range C thru E in 15 and 16 inch. However, in 17 inch load range E prevails. E range is overkill for a 4runner, is much heavier, decreases performance acceleration and breaking, would be a stiffer ride, has less flexibility in sand, and has a smaller footprint even when aired down. Some Es can still look fully inflated with just 10psi.

Some brands, like interco, don't even offer 265x70x17. But they do have 32x10.5x16 and 15 in C, D, and E.

Cooper stt pro does offer 265x70x17. But only in E.

The same goes for km2, toyo mt, yoko dynapro, and pretty much all others. They all make 17 inch, but only in the heavier and stiffer range E.

I almost feel like creating a change dot org account to request toyota change the break calipers to allow for better offroad tire and wheel options that would unleash the beast inside.

Would have loved to put interco irok nd in 32x10.5x16C on my stock 4runner. But nooooo. Thanks toyota.

Toyota needed a 17" rim to accommodate the bigger brakes they are using now.

15 (and soon 16") rims are going the way of the dodo bird. Besides, most people increase the size of their tires when dealing with mud.

It's not toyota's fault, the brakes are a important safety feature.

Toyota needed a 17" rim to accommodate the bigger brakes they are using now.

15 (and soon 16") rims are going the way of the dodo bird. Besides, most people increase the size of their tires when dealing with mud.

It's not toyota's fault, the brakes are a important safety feature.
I haven't read anywhere that 15 and 16 inch are becoming extinct. Not arguing, but in my search for tires I found a plethora of options in those sizes with very limited ones in 17. I prefer a bigger aspect ratio when offroading.

You may be referring to street driving. Which I agree that 17 is better for many reasons.

But if toyota makes one of the best offroad vehicles in the world it's not cool that they limit us to 17 or greater when there are such few options in that size.

Couldn't they have found a break caliper that would work? Or maybe other adjustments like offset?

Most tire manufacturers are making new tires in 17" rims first, with a trickle down to 15's (possibly). Keep reading and you will see the trend in tires is for bigger rims. And there are a TON of tires available in a 17" rim, and more developed every day (currently 154 different tires on tire rack in that size). You are just looking for a tiny "mud" tire. And that's harder to find because most people that do play in the mud require a bigger tire.

It's not the caliper, its the rotor diameter. Larger rotor diameter = easier stopping due to more leverage. Increasing the offset makes the trucks differently and not turn as easily.

These trucks are primarily built for the street...

I do understand the trend in increasing wheel diameter. It's easy to see. In the 80s every vehicle had an ratio of 70 probably. Now, for safety and aesthetic reasons we are trending towards bigger rims.

However when offroading I'd still prefer a bigger aspect ratio and would not consider a 17 for tires smaller than 33.

In the street I'll take a smaller aspect ratio any day of the week. Given most people drive on street most of the time it's easy to see why the trend.

Yes.

And rather than talking trends, people should speak up before the 4runner follows the way of the Nissan pathfinder and becomes a minivan.

I could already hear the guy that commented here before - 'oh but that is what's trending right now.'

You're going to have to get a lift and body mount chop then stuff some 35s in there. Almost every tire manufacturer makes them in 35X12.5R17

Thanks but I was wanting a badass mud tire in 265x70x17, not a 35. The 4runner is sick as it is without the need for all that mumbo jumbo that will only decrease street performance and safety.

Good thing is maxxis came thru with the buckshot 764 in my size and load range.

No. Another brake caliper doesn'the work. The hub design doesn't allow for it. And you don't just change offset willy-nilly to fit a tire. You develop a tire to meet performance requirements based on your design requirements. Toyota has decades of research and field usage studies they reference when deciding those performance requirements. If 35" x 13" tires were required in regular use of the vehicle in a particular market, they would have designed for it. It isn't really necessary anywhere, so it wasn't considered a valid requirement.

And I thought this thread was dead...

not dead, just moving slow like a Land Cruiser does...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom