Dash lit up like Xmas tree, won't start, replaced alternator and battery :( (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1. 1/2 way to work on Monday (wife), battery / charging system light comes on. At this point, battery charge indicator is about halfway up (about 40% of the way between the two 'good' points on the gauge)
2. As she's almost to work, the whole dash lights up (pretty much everything *except* engine.. BRAKE, ABS, VSC OFF, VS TRAC, Airbag, Battery / Charging system etc.. Brake boost/assist fails, power steering fails.. car basically drops dead. She gets it jumped but it wouldn't hold it, was only able to limp it into a parking space. At this point, the battery charge indicator is below the bottom 'good' point
3. We replace the battery since I knew it was due - no joy *
4. We replace the alternator since that was 190,000 miles on the original - no joy *

* - Where we are now (nothing changed).. Basically the truck will start up and seem fine but all lights remain on, you have to mash the brake all the way to the floor to stop it just at idle rolling speed (I wanted to see if we could limp it out of the parking garage so that towing would be easier).. Battery charge drops quickly and after it's been running for a couple minutes, if you turn it off, it's not coming back.. For now I have the negative terminal off the battery for fear of a vampire drain..

I would start by double checking all the alternator connections, then double check all the fuses (under hood and dash). Toyota likes to light up the whole dash to get your attention, no matter if that light relates to the real issue or not.

Do you have access to a OBDII scanner? If not then find a mechanic who does as it may narrow down the problem much quicker than visually inspecting all of the above.

Hi BMT and thanks for the reply..

I do have access to a scanner; I should have posted that.. It is currently reporting C1223 1253 and 1256. It was reporting a 1241 but that went away when I changed the battery. Alternator connections should be right but I do find myself wondering about the 120A fuses.

My wife told me last night that when the parking garage guys (couple of yahoos) went to jump the car, they originally had the cables reversed on one of the batteries.. So their + went to our - briefly (explains the described sparks - does no one hook the - to the engine block anymore?!)

I have found conflicting information on whether or not the fuses are between the alternator and the battery or not.. I find myself wondering if this could simply be blown fuses preventing the (new) alternator from charging the (new) battery..

MAYBE the old battery just finally gave up the ghost (last oil change they had told me the cold crank amps were low and recommended new one.. just hadn't gotten to it) and when the parking garages tried to jump it they fried the 120A fuse.. Then I change battery and alternator out but the fuse is still fried so no joy?

I am so grasping at straws here..

@Superbiff, did you ever resolve this issue? The C1223, 1253 and 1256 code all relate to the ABS system, so fit with the problem of brake pedal going to the floor. Still a strange failure mode, though. The 120A fuse is definitely between the alternator and battery, so if that is blown the battery won't charge. But that doesn't explain the ABS troubles. That may be related to reversing the polarity when they tried to jump-start the vehicle.

Hi TrickyT,

I'm glad your email reminded me to come back and explain. It turned out to be the 40amp fuse for the ABS. Not quite sure why that caused it to refuse to start at all after the first try but ..

Maybe it's a safety feature. Like "ABS system fails so the ABS ECU tells the engine ECU not to allow the motor to be started." I checked the wiring diagram and there is no dedicated signal wire that goes between these ECU's, but they do both connect to the CAN bus and so the ABS ECU could easily broadcast a message to this effect. I'll try pulling the 40A ABS fuse on my 2014 and see if the engine still starts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom