Daniel Boone Backcountry Byway (DBBB) suggestions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have found maps and events that have happened in the Red River Gorge area, but I am trying to find some places to set up camp for a night. I am surprised I have been hitting a wall doing some research. Does anyone know the area and have any recommendations? We will be up there for 5 days. I am happy to do drive in campsites but I am really looking for something off road and out of the way. Some cool place to set up a tent near the water for a night or two. If any Ohio River Four Wheelers or SFWDA members are watching, let me know.

Hi, Toadshade,

A buddy and I are planning to do the Byway next month (haven't done it before). I've got the same sort of questions that you posted. I'll bump this up.

We spent 5 days out there hiking but only ended up doing a little of the actual Daniel Boone Byway. Unbelievable area for both driving and hiking the sandstone arches are something I had never seen on the East Coast before. But as for camp sites directly on the DBBB, I did not see many at all. There was a great area at the end of the Blue Bridge (after the tunnel, you will see it on a map in the gorge). You will definitely want to check it out anyway, but if you go down that road and take a left at the bridge, you will go into what I believe is called the Red River Gorge Geologic Area. You will find a bunch of great camp sites in there. There are some pretty rough ones too. The best one as far as I know is the very last one at the dead end. But when we went it was crowded and I am sure it was one of the first taken. We were lucky to get a place only twice the size of my truck but it was next to a waterfall so it was great. We also spent some time camping at a drive in site behind the Daniel Boone Coffee Shop just out of convenience and late nights. It was cheap and made for an easy morning. BTW, you need a park pass to camp in the Geologic area. You can get them all over the place in different shops including that coffee shop and gas stations. Don't remember the cost but it wasn't that much. Perfect time to go right now with this weather. It is actually a really low elevation, so it is pretty damn hot there in the summer.

Supposedly some of the best rock climbing on the East Coast too. The place is crowded with climbers and the lifestyle. If you go in the summer, go kayaking in the abandoned mine. It is 45 degrees all year and a nice break in the summer heat.

Supposedly some of the best rock climbing on the East Coast too. The place is crowded with climbers and the lifestyle. If you go in the summer, go kayaking in the abandoned mine. It is 45 degrees all year and a nice break in the summer heat.
Thanks for all of the tips re: the DBBB. I live about 90 minutes from the Gorge, and we actually spent some nice family time there, and at the other parks close to it, this summer. It's a beautiful part of the state. We took my truck, but I didn't know that the DBBB existed, so we didn't do any family 'wheeling. Had a look at the maps online. They appear to be ok, but camping (outside of the Gorge) will be difficult; so much of the byway/trail passes through private land, and in that neck of the woods, going onto private land will not end well (not that I believe in trespassing. I don't want anyone on my farm without permission either :cool:).
I'll let you know how the trip goes.
All the best,
O.N.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom