CV axle question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My son just called after having his oil changed saying that the "cv axle has a gap," apparently before it sets into the hub. I am clueless when it comes to this stuff but have learned a lot from this forum. Does anyone have suggestions on what causes this or if it is dangerous or needs to be fixed asap?

Last edited:
This is pic. Looks like a significant gap to me!

image.jpeg

Yep, if you search you'll see similar pics. The hub isn't being retained by the c-clip on the axle end, so it's slid out and now the hub is being held on by the ball joints and tie rod end. If you pull the hub cap and pop the dust cover off the flange you'll probably find the c-clip there.

Yep, if you search you'll see similar pics. The hub isn't being retained by the c-clip on the axle end, so it's slid out and now the hub is being held on by the ball joints and tie rod end. If you pull the hub cap and pop the dust cover off the flange you'll probably find the c-clip there.
Thank you. I will search for thread on how to fix this.

See "Changing CV axles in FAQ". instructions are close to the end on the reinstall. Contact Curt at Cruiser Outfitters regarding the C-clips. He has a package of several different thicknesses that will make the simple repair much easier. The FAQ also will guide you very well from beginning to end.

Can I say it's a one banana job?:banana:

I wouldn' drive it- unless absolutely had to.

Literally a 15min job- the circlip is probably inside the cap- possibly broken, damaged but most likely it was not seated correctly and popped off. Remove wheel, remove grease cap, find the circlip stuck in the grease in the cap- reinstall.

If you aren't capable of doing this, any service shop can do this in short order.

Have you recently had brake work or bearings repacked?

I wouldn' drive it- unless absolutely had to.

Literally a 15min job- the circlip is probably inside the cap- possibly broken, damaged but most likely it was not seated correctly and popped off. Remove wheel, remove grease cap, find the circlip stuck in the grease in the cap- reinstall.

If you aren't capable of doing this, any service shop can do this in short order.

Have you recently had brake work or bearings repacked?
We haven't...just bought this a month ago.

So you think the clip could have slipped off? Maybe I should pop the grease cap off and see before I trudge all over town looking for one. If it's just slipped off, I assume I could use it again...

Has anyone ever tried to push the axle back in place from the back side of the hub? I was thinking if I could do that it might allow me to drive it a day or two until I get the c clip ordered and delivered.

Pushing from back side is how you'll get axle back in place. But without replacing the axle hub snap ring (c-clip) it will not stay in place. Popping off the grease cap and replacing snap ring is a two minute job, to get back on the road in a pinch. But for reliability you need to do a wheel bearing service. Very few properly setup these front wheel bearing when serviced. The result is issue like you're having.
Axle reboot

Additionally you have two set of seals at each end of the drive shaft, a dust & oils seals. With the axle pulled out as yours is, dirt has gotten into the axle brass bushing area and needle bearing. rotors & pads think I'm feeling some wobble?

Every wheel 100 series wheel bearing service I've done after it's been done by a corner shop or Dealer, I found set up improperly. Your snap ring coming off indicates yours is no exception. I pull steering knuckle off the rig first time I service high mileage 100's to properly clean & inspect needle bearing. After that I just pull axle hub to service wheel bearing every 30K miles.

There are many threads on subject here just some:
CV axle question
CV Swap / Wheel Bearings / AHC Lift / Other Needed Items???
Excessive play at front differential
Front Wheel Bearing Help -- Preload question
New to me 05 LC with a couple of questions and pics
Wheel Bearing; FSM Torque to Light or just Right.

thanks so much. Toyota dealer parts dept is saying they don't know what size snap clip I need. Crazy to me!?! Do you know if it is 2.4?

You must measure the gap before you'll know. Read through the links I provided and you get a good understanding of the whole system.

I have not pulled the grease cap but will when I get off work.
Hopefully it is in there. If not, I have ordered one in every size from Toyota dealership here. $2.16 each. Whatever size it is, I will be ready!

Have you pulled the flange cap to see if the clip is in there?
Well, I got home and pulled the cap...
Voila! one snap ring sitting inside the cap amongst the grease! Thank you so much. I will get it replaced this evening and be good as new.

Thanks to everyone who helped me figure this out.

Got the axle pulled back through almost enough to see where the snap clip was supposed to go. For some reason, I was unable to get it pulled through enough to get the clip on. We tried from all sides and even attempted to take the drive flange off but had no luck breaking it free. In the end, we put a large washer on the bolt were were using to pull the axle and tightened it down so the the washer holds the axle through as much as possible. Hoping that will get us through until I can get it in to a real mechanic for help.

Had some awesome help from Summit Cruiser. The most knowledgeable cruiser guy I have had experience with. He also had all the tools that we needed.

If anyone has an idea why the axle wouldn't pull through we would love some help. Could it be that the drive flange was replaced and the new one was the wrong depth and doesn't allow the clip groove to come through the hub?

Wanted to give a shout out to Dirtdawg. Great to meet him and appreciate his willingness to help a novice cruiser mechanic. We got the axle pulled through and the new snap ring in place.

Thanks for everyones help.

So... Update to issue. Despite great help yesterday, the snap ring popped off and the axle is pulling out again. It appeared to be seated firmly and looked to be the right size. Is there anything closer to the differential that would be pulling it or some way it is getting too much force to push the snap ring off the end of the axle?

Could be that your snapring if it was reused was bent or stretched. It is not really intended to be a reusable part. Did you reuse or install a new snap ring ?

Important to also measure for the correct thickness snap ring-I think you've mentioned reading about that from the notes 2001LC provided.

Correct tool to install the snap ring ensures you won't stretch it out or damage it while installing.

Could be the end of the axle is damaged and won't retain the ring- but that would be a long shot-the axle is harder steel than any of the components in contact with it.

Two posts up he said he used new.

Sounds like the groove the ring sits in is worn. I'd push the hub back on and thoroughly clean the axle stub end with brake cleaner. Then inspect with a magnifying glass and see if the splines in the groove have become beveled a little. If they are, you could maybe try a needle file to get them back to a square edge and then use a thicker clip, but you may also be headed for a new CV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom