Builds Cummins R2.8 H151 Swap into 1993 FZJ80 (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I love the Deka batteries never heard problems with them, and to show you my engine bay to refresh your memory

thumbnail_20190704_143751.jpg

thumbnail_20190704_143732.jpg

thumbnail_20190514_175947.jpg

I only got one thing done with my free time during independence day. I finished my modified throttle cable setup.

I still would like a stiffer pedal, I might have to play with some of the springs in the cruise control actuator to get it just how I want it.

I made a little bronze part to act as a removable cable end, a set screw grips the cable. I hope this lasts....

Damn those 12 valves are nice engines!! Is that part of a 1fz exhaust manifold heat shield? I still dont know how people cram those engines into 80 series rigs.

Your battery choice required battery box mods I see...
[/Q

Yes I used part of a heat shield. I don't understand why you wonder , the Cummins 6BT fit's so nice, with very little mods I even use the stock motor mounts drive lines and A343F my AC Cruise control all work too, stock radiator location the only real Mods are I cut the steering box brace and drop it 1" use a hole saw and pierce the front cross member for my inter cooler, I am using a thick walled tubing and weld it in place

How much life did you need to install to get the engine to fit?

How is the front end holding up under that beast of a motor?

How much life did you need to install to get the engine to fit?

How is the front end holding up under that beast of a motor?

I put a 3" OME J springs and a 2" Metal tech spring spacer, I also put a 1" body lift . I have seen them with just the OME heavies up front with the stock rears springs and no body lift, and some with body lift . just depends on what the people wanted. I have been driving it every day for 2 years and not front end problems , I have tried to beat the crap out of it but nothing broke

I put a 3" OME J springs and a 2" Metal tech spring spacer, I also put a 1" body lift . I have seen them with just the OME heavies up front with the stock rears springs and no body lift, and some with body lift . just depends on what the people wanted. I have been driving it every day for 2 years and not front end problems , I have tried to beat the crap out of it but nothing broke
Not even problems with the shocks? I cant recall whose build thread I was reading on here but I got the impression that were going thru shocks and knuckle bearings like nobody's business.

Not even problems with the shocks? I cant recall whose build thread I was reading on here but I got the impression that were going thru shocks and knuckle bearings like nobody's business.

Well I bought new front shocks, because my OME where done,I ordered my shocks valved for the Cummins, because I wanted something different Doeschtech made here in America. I have never heard of these problems, I have done several swaps with a 6BT, and never heard of these problems, I think people just bad mouth it because they can't either afford or the ability, to do a swap or purist. I my cruiser is my Daily driver and I would not have done it if I thought it was poorly engineered the kit I used is a full kit and very easy to do, I hope the best for your adventure .

@PurpleFJ62 - Are you using stock ratios in the HF151? I hear that there’s a taller OD available (Terrain Tamer?).

When I looked at HDJ80s, I was disappointed with the overdrive ratio of the 5 speed.

I had an 05 Ram with the 5.9 Cummins and 6 speed manual with a 0.79 OD and 3.73 axle ratio (2.95 final drive ratio). That thing desperately needed a taller overdrive on the freeway. The new trucks come with 0.63 OD and 3.42 axle ratio (2.16 final drive ratio, 37% lower). If my truck had a 7th gear, a 2nd overdrive, I would still have it. I loved the manual and the gearing except on highway and switching to 3.42s wouldn’t have made enough difference to be worth it.

What axle ratio and tire size will you be running?

Your work on this project is truly awe inspiring!

I am keeping the gearing stock for now. I herd about that different 5th gear that can be swapped into the H151 trans, might be nice in the future.

I am surprised that the 0.79 od with 3.73 axles was not to your liking...

Finally have something meaningful to show off now.
With the exception of my oil pickup tube my custom oil pan is complete. I went down to Diversified Welding in Toledo Ohio to have it welded professionally, well worth the trip!

I am not sure how many people read this thread who live in SE Michigan and NW Ohio but if you need some welding done these guys can help you out.

This first batch of pictures does not have very good lighting...

Last edited:
I am surprised that the 0.79 od with 3.73 axles was not to your liking...

I live in the rural west and have to travel on 80 mph freeway to get anywhere from my house.

The image below is from R2.8 repower gear calculator, I put in the numbers from my truck with 0.79 OD.

It says the R2.8 prefers 1500-2000 rpm. That was definitely true of the 5.9! It purred at 1600-1800 rpm, above 2000 rpm it roared.

E6E5484A-CAAA-49B1-BD73-BD5FA033371F.png

Got a few of annoying tasks wrapped up since my last post.

I went with a factory sized battery, its a duracell. They work great in my 24 valve so I hope they will work equally well here.

Here you can see my favorite method of securing battery cables to the battery. I like the removable marine terminal lugs, that way when they get all screwed up you can simply replace them without doing anything to the cables.

The double ought cables are a little too big for the 80 series, they take up almost all of the openings in the battery boxes. The fusible links barley fit through the remaining space.

I recieved a package from Toronto today, this really ties everything together and makes the interior look done. Many thanks to TurboDennis! I have been waiting for one of these to appear for a long time!!

And just to prove that i'm not insane about my wiring, here is proof that the reverse lights work!

More to follow...

I’m late to the party, but I’ll shamelessly plug this battery. I have two in different cars and they’re still doing great.

Well I bought new front shocks, because my OME where done,I ordered my shocks valved for the Cummins, because I wanted something different Doeschtech made here in America. I have never heard of these problems, I have done several swaps with a 6BT, and never heard of these problems, I think people just bad mouth it because they can't either afford or the ability, to do a swap or purist. I my cruiser is my Daily driver and I would not have done it if I thought it was poorly engineered the kit I used is a full kit and very easy to do, I hope the best for your adventure .
Don’t want to get this thread off point, but this is the first time I’ve ever agreed with shocktower so I felt it was worth commenting. Most issues with front ends are due to poor rebuilds by those not knowing what they are doing. It’s a strong set up that can take abuse. Stock 40-60k on rebuild with off-road use. Cummins has shown strong with 40k for many. Only a very slight reduction life in my book. But will take some time to figure out the norm, there are just not that many out there.

I think @cjmoon has 3.5’s.

Ordered my 3.55’s via marks in Australia. We had 3 sets shipped at the same time. So at least 3 rigs running around with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom