Crawler options? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking for a scale (FJ40?) rock crawler.
I'm selling my Compass 3D+ nitro heli to fund it so I don't want to go and drop ~$400 on an RTR rock crawler but conversely, I don't want to go spending thousands on a full custom chassis, billet housings and titanium halfshafts (or whatever is de rigueur), I know nothing about RC cars.

The only scalish 40 I know of is Tamiya - they actually have 2, one a true crawler, the other more of a trail truck.

You may be better off getting a more common chassis (eg Axial SCX10) and buying the 40 body separately.

RC4WD makes awesome scalers, but no 40's - although they do have the 1st gen pickup, again you could drop a lexan 40 body on it.

Plan on spending at least $400 all in, unless you score serious deals on CL, ebay, wherever. But between esc, servo, radio, receiver, motors, batteries + charger, and mods in addition to chassis, it adds up fast.

The SCX10 is a great platform to start with - very good performance out of the box, tons of upgrades, huge communities around it. If you want all-out tubed crawler, obviously it's not the place to start though. I run 2 SCX10's, one for all-out crawling, the other set up more for scale/trails.

Aoshima made a really scale FJ40 body, but they RARE and PRICEY. Detail is off the hook though. However, lots can be done with the Tamiya lexan body and a custom, styrene interior. Cruise over to the Scale Builder's Guild. These are the best of the best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom