Coax extension? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Im in the middle of installing my CB to my 1995 HDJ81 (RHD) but I've run into a problem... With the way that I have things situated, my 18' coax doesn't quite reach my transceiver unit.

I have my antenna on a Yodateq mount on the rear left, and I mounted the unit overhead, replacing the overhead console. I ran the cable under the carpets and alongside existing wiring under the door trims. It pops out of the trim in the passenger footwell (left side). From there I want to run it up and along the edge of the windshield and across the top to reach the unit, but with that configuration, I am about 1 foot or so short.

Is there some kind of Coax extension I can buy? Will it negatively impact SWR? Or maybe there is a more direct route for the cable so that it reaches the overhead unit?

Cheers

Is there some kind of Coax extension I can buy? Will it negatively impact SWR? Or maybe there is a more direct route for the cable so that it reaches the overhead unit?

Cheers

Could you run the coax between the headliner and the roof? I did that on my FJC.

You can buy short extensions with a male PL259 on one end and a female SO239 on the other, you can get them in 1' and 3' lengths.

The extra length won't affect your SWR, but every connection is an opportunity for corrosion and eventual signal loss. In a perfect world, you would make a single run of coax the exact length needed (it's not rocket science to solder on the connectors yourself), but for something as low-power as a cb it will probably work just fine to add an extension.

Don't run your coax alongside the power wires for the radio if you can help it.

Could you run the coax between the headliner and the roof? I did that on my FJC.

You can buy short extensions with a male PL259 on one end and a female SO239 on the other, you can get them in 1' and 3' lengths.

The extra length won't affect your SWR, but every connection is an opportunity for corrosion and eventual signal loss. In a perfect world, you would make a single run of coax the exact length needed (it's not rocket science to solder on the connectors yourself), but for something as low-power as a cb it will probably work just fine to add an extension.

Don't run your coax alongside the power wires for the radio if you can help it.
Great info. thanks!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom