Carolina Relic Run - April 15-17, 2016 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I understand that everyone needs to be responsible for their own vehicle but, if the objective is to attract as many “relics” to this event as possible, some of us who do not have the mechanical capabilities to repair our vehicles or stock the necessary replacement parts may be reluctant to come.
Steve,
You, and everyone else, will be fine while you're with us at URE. There will be people like @GLTHFJ60, and others who live to fix stuff, around to cobble repairs when needed. He carries 800lbs of tools and parts and he's damned ready to use them on someone else's rig for once! All bets are off for the ride home.;)

Seriously though, I recommend that everyone with a classic vehicle, of any kind, looks at this, and gets either PREMIER or PREMIER RV membership. If we can get it to a paved, state road then they'll get it home up to 200 miles away as long as it has a valid tag. You'll pay way more than the membership fee if you ever need a tow from URE. I recommend RV for the people who are over GVWR of 6000lbs because they've screwed me in the past on the weight rating thing. (I hope nobody reading this is green/blue colorblind.)

Also, some people will likely want to drive their classic to camp but NOT run the trails. This is fine. Some vehicles are too nice nice to risk any damage. Not most of ours. Nobody will laugh at you (out loud).:rolleyes: There should be some passenger seats available in other rigs come trail time.

Steve,
You, and everyone else, will be fine while you're with us at URE. There will be people like @GLTHFJ60, and others who live to fix stuff, around to cobble repairs when needed. He carries 800lbs of tools and parts and he's damned ready to use them on someone else's rig for once! All bets are off for the ride home.;)

Seriously though, I recommend that everyone with a classic vehicle, of any kind, looks at this, and gets either PREMIER or PREMIER RV membership. If we can get it to a paved, state road then they'll get it home up to 200 miles away as long as it has a valid tag. You'll pay way more than the membership fee if you ever need a tow from URE. I recommend RV for the people who are over GVWR of 6000lbs because they've screwed me in the past on the weight rating thing. (I hope nobody reading this is green/blue colorblind.)

Also, some people will likely want to drive their classic to camp but NOT run the trails. This is fine. Some vehicles are too nice nice to risk any damage. Not most of ours. Nobody will laugh at you (out loud).:rolleyes: There should be some passenger seats available in other rigs come trail time.

I expected to be severely torched for my post and for being mechanically incompetent - so thanks for the thoughtful reply and reassurance. Marshall Shepherd (Trollhole) does all of my "mechanical stuff" and I have only needed to do the basics.

Thanks for the advice about AAA Premier.

Last edited:
I expected to be severely torched for my post and for being mechanically incompetent - so thank for the thoughtful reply and reassurance. Marshall Shepherd (Trollhole) does all of my "mechanical stuff" and I have only needed to do the basics.

Thanks for the advice about AAA Premier.
Your 40 is in great shape, BTW. I had to look under your hood to see how mine was actually supposed to be wired.

Stuff happens on the trail and it can't be avoided... You will not be left behind. You will not be placed in a situation where you have to drive an unsafe vehicle home. I know this for fact.

Geeez, I have such radical ideas

interested to see how many are being trailered...I can trailer mine if we need (possibly)more trailers. I know I sure appreciated being trailered out at Logan's Run when I snapped an axle. I wouldn't hesitate to pay it forward, although I don't have to tow it.

Geeez, I have such radical ideas

I'm sure the event organizers appreciate the input and will arrange for a support vehicle at camp if they feel it is necessary, but if they don't think it's necessary with the experience and the manpower available from those in attendance, there's no need to take it personally.

interested to see how many are being trailered...I can trailer mine if we need (possibly)more trailers. I know I sure appreciated being trailered out at Logan's Run when I snapped an axle. I wouldn't hesitate to pay it forward, although I don't have to tow it.

Trying to work out a way to make it to this event and still keep domestic tranquility, since my wedding anniversary is the 14th, so this event is on our "anniversary weekend". If I do make it out, I'll probably trailer as well.

Allen, I am not taking it personal You don't know me or you'd understand that was humor

Heck no. I am trailering it.

C'mon, man. I've driven my -40 to Florence, Columbia and Beaufort.... This will be it's first long distance adventure, but between the three (four, or more of us) I 'm sure we can get there and back.

Heck, getting back should be easy, it's all downhill from NC, right?

For what it's worth - when the fuel pump in my 40 gave up due to heat soak at URE, I paid $150 (cash deal) for a tow from Denton to Greensboro...

For what it's worth - when the fuel pump in my 40 gave up due to heat soak at URE, I paid $150 (cash deal) for a tow from Denton to Greensboro...

The fuel pump that is still in there now?

The fuel pump that is still in there now?

Yep.

After that trip, I double wrapped the pump in heat resistant tape; I also wrapped the exhaust pipes nearby - it hasn't given me any further issues. It was 100 degrees that day so I'm sure that didn't help.

Regardless, I have 2 new replacement pumps that I'll bring with me just in case (and in case anyone else needs one). Ordered one and it arrived smelling awful. So they sent another and told me to keep the first one.

I smelling bad is a legitimate reason for getting free replacement stuff I'm gonna' file a complaint about every item I've ever bought from Harbor Freight! That stuff has a funk on it that Mr. Clean can't touch...

I smelling bad is a legitimate reason for getting free replacement stuff I'm gonna' file a complaint about every item I've ever bought from Harbor Freight! That stuff has a funk on it that Mr. Clean can't touch...

Yeah - someone else had evidently bought the fuel pump and used it for something and returned it... Not gas tho. Smelled almost like acetone. Amazon didn't notice and they sent it to me. When the package arrived, it had leaked and soaked a big stack of mail and another package. Sending a used fuel pump through the mail is illegal, so not only should they have not sent it to me, I could not send it back to them. Hence, the replacement pump.

So for a guy who drive's a truck older than himself, what kind of "vintage clothing" should I go out and look for?

For those camping, do we want to do a sort of pot-luck?

So for a guy who drive's a truck older than himself, what kind of "vintage clothing" should I go out and look for?
Let's see... Moonshine is 1987, so this looks about right:
miami-vice-tv-stills_5258665-305x400.jpeg

Oh God, I remember all the Sonny Crockett wanabees running around. I lived 30 miles N of Philly and every club you went into had guys dressed like above. White shoes and all.............

My truck is a 1969... no ambiguity on how I should be dressed...
macho-man-wallpaper.jpg

Please add me in as a possible participant, although dressing for 1967 will be an adventure. We've hatched a plan for a Utah back country crawl, but that will most likely push into May.

Mines a '65. Found some nice vintage photos of a '64...... luckily the clothing style from the 60's doesn't appear too far from how I dress now :hillbilly:. You guys with rigs from the 70s and 80s are gonna have to work a little harder than me for your attire :beer:

IMG_0627.jpg

1964 toyota2.JPG

1964 FJ40.jpg

Wish I could pull off the look of this '65 :D
mexico-driving-wild-baja.jpg

Looking forward to what should be an awesome event :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom