Builds Cara the white '84 FJ60! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I’ll ask if I can keep mine, I’m headed in next week to get mine replaced.
Keep us updated somewhere here on Mud. My blue 60 is due for the tank recall and I’d love to keep the old one. I bet it’s not allowed per law because it’s a recall, but let’s see.

I finished up my front doors today! Installed new Pioneer TS-G1320F speakers today (with adapters from @TheNeek) and gave doing vapor barriers a shot. I'm decently happy with how they turned out. I dusted/cleaned with 91% alcohol (figured removing any oils wouldn't hurt), then laid down butyl rope I had lying around. Topped it off with some garbage bags cut to size.

The new speakers are so much better then the original ones that were hanging in the doors. It's not an amazing audio experience (would need a sub and lots of NVH work I think), but I'm very happy with this audio upgrade. Big upgrade from the previous Bluetooth speaker!

IMG_2710.jpeg

IMG_2715.jpeg

@kenavt What size are the speakers? I did new speakers in the tomato truck and I’m happy with them, but they use a spacer external to the door card. I’m getting some ideas together for what to do on Matilda…. Some different ideas…

@kenavt What size are the speakers? I did new speakers in the tomato truck and I’m happy with them, but they use a spacer external to the door card. I’m getting some ideas together for what to do on Matilda…. Some different ideas…
They're 5.25". Feel like the perfect size for that spot with the adapter.

They're 5.25". Feel like the perfect size for that spot with the adapter.
And they fit under the OEM speaker grilles?

Just an FYI if you haven’t put the door cards on yet, the Phillips screws and keep nuts are backwards. The head of the screw should sit in the recess on the adapters.
Oh I see that now... I saw the recess... and then didn't think of having the nuts facing outside to the door cards 🤦🏻‍♂️ I'll fix it the next time I'm in there.

Oh I see that now... I saw the recess... and then didn't think of having the nuts facing outside to the door cards 🤦🏻‍♂️ I'll fix it the next time I'm in there.
It's not a giant deal, just wanted you to know and if anyone looks at your photo. I should probably make an instructional sheet to go with the adapters.

Keep us updated somewhere here on Mud. My blue 60 is due for the tank recall and I’d love to keep the old one. I bet it’s not allowed per law because it’s a recall, but let’s see.
Verified, you can't keep the old gas tank. It must be returned to Toyota in order to "close out" the recall.

Finally, a fun adventure post, not just working on the truck! 😂

This past weekend saw a couple friends visit from out of town excited to do outdoorsy stuff, and we were determined not to let a historically cold and rainy Seattle spring stop us. So over four days, we drove over 500 miles in Cara across to the Kitsap Peninsula (just barely dry) to do some mountain biking, and over to Yakima (also just barely dry) for some camping and hiking. Cara and I's first times on a Washington state ferry and also crossing Snoqualmie Pass! Also the first time I've camped and slept in the truck since August 2020, on the fateful trip that led to the 2F swap. Been a long nearly-two-years.

The truck performed great, and I even hit 14mpg on one tank for the first time in a while. I fell to ~50mph in fourth gear climbing Snoqualmie Pass eastward, and some of the grades on I-82 along Manastash and Umtanum Ridges, with my smogged 2F and stock gearing and 33s. Which from asking around seems like a good result. The rubber overdrive also allowed me to do low 60s mph at ~2500rpm and even go up to 70 at 2800rpm which was great trying to do alright on I-90 and I-82.

Temperature wise I never got above 170F on the aftermarket gauge (when climbing); largely stayed in the 140F to 160F range. Got as low as 125F coming off Snoqualmie Pass westward. I have a feeling my thermostat is stuck open, or something else is going on. I can hear the fan running full blast somewhat frequently. I figure I can enjoy the truck and worry more about sorting that out when I have the opportunity and inclination for some downtime.

Yakima River Canyon is gorgeous and reminds me a lot of Livermore, CA and the East Bay Area (but forgot to take pictures). Camping with friends is always fun! With little left to do mechanically, looking forward to a fun summer.

IMG_2795.JPG

IMG_2811.jpeg

IMG_2799.jpeg

IMG_2825.jpeg

Next time your on the Olympic Peninsula, hit me up!
Looks like you had a fun trip!
Will do! Need to run around in the Olympics on fire roads and trails sometime. ☺️

In Cara-specific news... nothing to report, other then that she's crossed 180k miles (adjusted for tires)! The vacuum gauge has actually helped a lot with that - looking at the needle dancing around has made me more aware of my driving habits and now I'm gentler on the throttle while still keeping up with anemic Seattle traffic. I've done >13.0 mpg on my last four fillups. Take that, gas prices!

In vaguely related news... I've imported myself a HDJ81, Yoshi! So expect work and updates on Cara to slow for now. I'm not sure what the long-term vision is at this point for Cara to be honest, or if I will be able to keep her around due to space, but I've learned so much and had so many fun memories with Cara that I don't want to let go. The HDJ81 will just be much better at many things, and scratches some other itches that I've had as well (JDM). Going to keep Cara around at least for the summer and then we'll see.

A mid sized update: I did an oil and filter change (Kirkland Signature 15W-40 + STP Extended Life S8AXL), fuel filter change, and thermostat (Aisin THT007) + top ring gasket (90430-43002) + housing gasket (16341-61030) + bolt (91611-B0845) change on Cara yesterday and today.

I have no idea when the fuel filter was last replaced, but the new one looks so pretty in comparison! $10 for 23300-38010 from my local Toyota dealer.

IMG_4398.jpeg

I changed the T-stat hoping that would resolve my odd over-cooling issues I talked about a few months back and had other observations on:

The temp gauge is more odd. My understanding is that when the truck is warmed up, I should expect to see 180F/190F or whatever the thermostat is designed to, as coolant comes out of the thermostat towards the radiator. However, I was seeing much less. After driving around for an hour (lots of idling, little highway, but on a 70F day), the highest temp I saw on the gauge was 150F after climbing a hill, it mostly sat around 140F at idle. I wonder if my thermostat is stuck open or something similar. I did test it before installing it about a year ago now, but something happened in the meantime. I don't have any desire to tear things apart as they are; this was one of my last projects and I'm eager to do less wrenching and more driving 😁
Temperature wise I never got above 170F on the aftermarket gauge (when climbing); largely stayed in the 140F to 160F range. Got as low as 125F coming off Snoqualmie Pass westward. I have a feeling my thermostat is stuck open, or something else is going on. I can hear the fan running full blast somewhat frequently. I figure I can enjoy the truck and worry more about sorting that out when I have the opportunity and inclination for some downtime.

And I do think I found the cause. When I took the thermostat housing apart I found the upper gasket had been bent at this crazy angle; no idea how that happened. From reading on here it sounds like if that gasket is misplaced or doesn't have a good seal, then coolant will just rush by and the system behaves like the thermostat is allowing coolant to flow. Which I think would explain my system behavior well.

Did a test drive this morning around the neighborhood after replacing the T-stat and gaskets and a quick system burp. The system showed system temps between 170F (bottom of a 300ft hill) to 190F (top of 300ft hill) on my third-party gauge in overcast 60F PNW weather; and my OEM temp gauge was around 1/4. Previously I wouldn't get above 150F or have my OEM temp gauge move at all. Since I installed the temp gauge three months ago, I have never seen 180F+. The Aisin THT007 is rated for 190F; with a possible temperature differential between the thermostat and then flowing through my upper rad hose (a couple degrees?), I feel like the system is working properly now. A proper highway drive would be a better test when I get around to it.

IMG_4399.jpeg

Cara purrs on.

A mid sized update: I did an oil and filter change (Kirkland Signature 15W-40 + STP Extended Life S8AXL), fuel filter change, and thermostat (Aisin THT007) + top ring gasket (90430-43002) + housing gasket (16341-61030) + bolt (91611-B0845) change on Cara yesterday and today.

I have no idea when the fuel filter was last replaced, but the new one looks so pretty in comparison! $10 for 23300-38010 from my local Toyota dealer.

View attachment 3115941

I changed the T-stat hoping that would resolve my odd over-cooling issues I talked about a few months back and had other observations on:

And I do think I found the cause. When I took the thermostat housing apart I found the upper gasket had been bent at this crazy angle; no idea how that happened. From reading on here it sounds like if that gasket is misplaced or doesn't have a good seal, then coolant will just rush by and the system behaves like the thermostat is allowing coolant to flow. Which I think would explain my system behavior well.

Did a test drive this morning around the neighborhood after replacing the T-stat and gaskets and a quick system burp. The system showed system temps between 170F (bottom of a 300ft hill) to 190F (top of 300ft hill) on my third-party gauge in overcast 60F PNW weather; and my OEM temp gauge was around 1/4. Previously I wouldn't get above 150F or have my OEM temp gauge move at all. Since I installed the temp gauge three months ago, I have never seen 180F+. The Aisin THT007 is rated for 190F; with a possible temperature differential between the thermostat and then flowing through my upper rad hose (a couple degrees?), I feel like the system is working properly now. A proper highway drive would be a better test when I get around to it.

View attachment 3115942

Cara purrs on.
I’ve been avoiding opening up the t-stat all summer - coolant temps still around 150-170. With winter coming I need to do this. Thanks for the report.

This seems very random and scammy - for posterity's sake, was posted across a bunch of threads here with no real explanation.

I’ve been avoiding opening up the t-stat all summer - coolant temps still around 150-170. With winter coming I need to do this. Thanks for the report.
You can do it! I believe in you! It only took me a bit more then an hour to knock out this one item (last time I did it, it was part of a giant overhaul), and the only PITA was not having a good solution to spilling coolant when I pulled the upper radiator hose. Would have been even quicker if I didn't apply gasket RTV... which if I were to do again, I wouldn't bother with. I'm curious to see if you find anything interesting in your system.

This seems very random and scammy - for posterity's sake, was posted across a bunch of threads here with no real explanation.

You can do it! I believe in you! It only took me a bit more then an hour to knock out this one item (last time I did it, it was part of a giant overhaul), and the only PITA was not having a good solution to spilling coolant when I pulled the upper radiator hose. Would have been even quicker if I didn't apply gasket RTV... which if I were to do again, I wouldn't bother with. I'm curious to see if you find anything interesting in your system.
I saw that spam message posted everywhere too. The Mud “authorities” are on alert. I wish people would donate $100,000 to ME so I can dump the money into my truck. That would be great.

I bet my gasket is messed up or the thermostat is otherwise stuck open. I’m just worried I’m going to break a bolt inside the lower housing. I do have new bolts to put it back together.

So no RTV, huh? Why not?

I saw that spam message posted everywhere too. The Mud “authorities” are on alert. I wish people would donate $100,000 to ME so I can dump the money into my truck. That would be great.

I bet my gasket is messed up or the thermostat is otherwise stuck open. I’m just worried I’m going to break a bolt inside the lower housing. I do have new bolts to put it back together.

So no RTV, huh? Why not?
Yeah, I dunno. I'm also getting spam political texts almost hourly now so I guess it's in the air. 🙄

I can't find it now, but I found a post on MUD saying someone didn't put on RTV, and a couple of local Seattle Cruiserheads have skipped it too. My reasoning is that the gasket seems rather thick, and applying RTV can be a pain - especially in a way to not get it back into your cooling system. I suppose applying it is better safe then sorry and it mostly likely won't hurt, but it's extra work and shouldn't be necessary IMO.

Do you notice any differences after replacing the fuel filter? Mine was barely dirty to my eyes but after replacing it, Falcor ran quite a bit better.
I haven't yet... but I haven't done any driving that I would really notice it... I tend to notice small power differences only on the highway. I'll report back. The gas did look very clear to my eyes, and I did just get that new fuel tank (which I know you did too, although not sure if that was before/after your fuel filter). I will say that I was worried I might have to prime the system or it might stumble until the fuel filter was full of fuel, but it started right up and didn't have any stumbling.

Yeah, I dunno. I'm also getting spam political texts almost hourly now so I guess it's in the air. 🙄

I can't find it now, but I found a post on MUD saying someone didn't put on RTV, and a couple of local Seattle Cruiserheads have skipped it too. My reasoning is that the gasket seems rather thick, and applying RTV can be a pain - especially in a way to not get it back into your cooling system. I suppose applying it is better safe then sorry and it mostly likely won't hurt, but it's extra work and shouldn't be necessary IMO.

I haven't yet... but I haven't done any driving that I would really notice it... I tend to notice small power differences only on the highway. I'll report back. The gas did look very clear to my eyes, and I did just get that new fuel tank (which I know you did too, although not sure if that was before/after your fuel filter). I will say that I was worried I might have to prime the system or it might stumble until the fuel filter was full of fuel, but it started right up and didn't have any stumbling.
The float bowl was full enough to allow the engine to run without missing a beat.

I replaced my fuel filter before the gas tank replacement and was surprised that it was so clogged up after possibly only 5000 miles.

Curious to hear if you have any noticeable drivability improvements.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom