Can We Stop Blaming the Bottom Bracket Already? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Everyone thinks their bike's noise is coming from the bottom bracket. Sometimes they're right, but far more often they're wrong, and the annoying sounds that makes your bike sound like it was assembled by Walmart's most hung-over bike mechanic are coming from somewhere else.

Pedals make noise. So do seat rails. A seat post bottoming out in the frame can drive you nuts. Loose things, obviously, like your rear axle, which will also creak if the dropouts are dirty. Suspension bearings.

But here's something that will test your sanity. Let's say you have a really nice bike. Top-end, etc. But after a couple years it starts creaking and popping like a cheap department store bike, but only when you pedal. You replace or service everything from the bottom bracket to the suspension. You re-tension the spokes. You buy new pedals, and you torque and re-torque every bolt on the bike. You clean everything like you're prepping for heart surgery. New chain; new pedals. But the noise does not go away.

Your friends quit calling you to ride with them because the noise from your bike makes them vomit. And then for the same reason you decide you need a new bike. But it's covid time, and your $6,000 bike now costs $9,500. What to do?

Replace your freehub body. Your cogs have worn divots (photo) in the freehub body, and even though you can't detect any movement, the cogs are moving and making all kinds of racket that you swear is the bottom bracket. Then go ride your quiet bike to the liquor store and buy me a delicious IPA with the money you saved by buying a new freehub body (and a delicious IPA for me) rather than a new bike.

IMG_20210123_161418.jpg

Last edited:
Agreed! I have been into bikes for a short while compared to many folks on here or in general (7 or so years of commuting and general adventure riding, gravel, bikepacking and mountain biking)

In those years, I've had a few clunks, creaks, pops and whatnot. It's been pedals, chain rings, loose cassettes etc. Admittedly, I've had one failed GXP BB due to an extremely wet bikepacking trip led to a seized drive side bearings.

Nice writeup, writing from recent experience are ya? And not-so-shameless plug to get another cold IPA in your hand! @jembourbe

As a career bike mechanic, the BB is truly the scapegoat, especially as the industry has wavered back and forth on threaded vs. press-fit BBs.

Worth checking everything thoroughly when an issue like this arise

Nice!
Diagnosing creaks on a mountain bike is a skilled trade. Well deserved IPA for that find.

That reminds me, I have a bit of a creak in my headset...

Nice!
Diagnosing creaks on a mountain bike is a skilled trade. Well deserved IPA for that find.

That reminds me, I have a bit of a creak in my headset...

Check your Cassette!!!

just kidding, but take the same level of thoroughness that @jembourbe put into this particular issue and you should have a culprit relatively quickly.

we used to put a fully cinched zip tie around housing/hoses, and not trim off the excess, to act as a small spring within the downtube. kept them under some tension.

Depending on how they're routed, and how much access you have at either end, you can probably get a bit more elaborate with the zip-ties

we used to put a fully cinched zip tie around housing/hoses, and not trim off the excess, to act as a small spring within the downtube. kept them under some tension.

Depending on how they're routed, and how much access you have at either end, you can probably get a bit more elaborate with the zip-ties
That works great. I used give Di2 junction boxes a few wraps of foam sheet before dropping them into the downtube

I once had a creak that was driving me nuts for months, same thing, only while pedaling. Bb, cranks, pedals, headset, shock bushings, none of it helped.

Turns out it was a loose derailleur hanger...

I had a noise that on my road bike (campy 10 spd drivetrain) that drove me nuts. It turned out to be a loose cassette. I had disassembed and cleaned it and didn't torque down the center ring enough. For BB creaks, the BB30 on my cyclocross bike was prone to getting debris in it, especially sand. I did a wet gravel race in michigan and it pretty much locked the crank up after it dried.

Reviving this thread. I've been chasing a creak for a few months. Had my BB replaced and I still have it. Time to take my hub apart & nut/bolt check my bike. Too cold to ride anyways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom