Camping in Ozarks or Ouachita's (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Howdy from the big state just southwest of you. I am planning to get away for a long weekend in early August. Yea I know it'll be damn hot but I need a short break. Can anyone recommend some good places in one of these two areas. I am looking to do some drive up camping with the ability to do some stream and river fishing. It would be fantastic if there was someplace close by where I could do a little light to moderate wheeling. Even if it was nothing more than scenic logging roads that would be fine. I would appreciate any feed back yall could give me or any other suggestions as well.

Thanks,
Buck Buchanan
Texas Land Cruiser Club Houston

Thanks for the info. I will call the Ranger station and ask about the water levels. I am definately looking to get away for 4 days.

Thanks again,

Buck Buchanan

I know its gonna be hot. I haven't decided if I am going to camp up at some elevation and drive to great spots during the day or do like you recommend in the Nat. Forest.

Buck

I highly endorse the idea of camping in the Ozark National Forest. In my view, the most beautiful NFS campground of all is up on top of White Rock Mountain, which lies roughly in the center of the square (okay, so it's not actually a square) formed by Hwy. 71, Hwy. 16, Hwy. 23, and I-40. Absolutely stunning views, and it's usually somewhat cooler up there; try to arrive on a Thursday (or Friday morning?) to grab a campsite; there are only about a dozen or less. No fishing at White Rock CG itself (it's on the summit of the mountain), but good fishing nearby at (Natl. Forest Serv.) Shore's Lake and Lake Ft. Smith (State Park); in fact close enough that you could just leave your camp set up at White Rock and head down from the mountain to fish, and then return to camp. LOTS of good back roads for four-wheeling. If all the NFS campgrounds are full, you can camp wherever you like in a NF (unlike a national park), although at the NFS campgrounds, having a water supply and outhouses are a handy convenience. (I would VERY strongly suggest that you pick up an Ozarks/Ouachita National Forest map before you go; their website is www.fs.fed.us/oonf/ozark.)

I'd also recommend the Ouachitas. There's good campsites at albert pike, shady lake, cossatot state park, and on the Ouachita river near mt ida or the caddo near glenwood. There's some good rivers in that area, and with the rains we've been getting, you might even have good water to do some paddling and fishing. The ozarks are great but a bit more of a drive. Turner bend on the mulberry or Byrd's adventure center (Home of rockotberfest) are good places to shack up. Best luck, ty

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom