Builds Camo's build thread - 2F to 2UZ (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Upper galley of what? It's all splash lubricated, and when the pinion bearing (in it's pocket) is pointed to the sky, no oil gets to it :)
I dont think 6 deg lateral angle will hurt you at all. Rock option B.

Upper galley of what? It's all splash lubricated, and when the pinion bearing (in it's pocket) is pointed to the sky, no oil gets to it :)

I agree that the normal pool around the whole pinion assembly would be greatly reduced. I was banking on the pinion getting it's oil through here from the RG's spray (even with the pitch from C, that galley would still have a downward slope to and through the bearings):

1621272893737.png

I agree that the normal pool around the whole pinion assembly would be greatly reduced. I was banking on the pinion getting it's oil through here from the RG's spray (even with the pitch from C, that galley would still have a downward slope to the bearings):

View attachment 2676741

That void still exists, but the only circumstance oil would even reach the pinion bearings is under high speed, and not enough of that oil would get past the inner pinion bearing to the outer one.

Don't take my word for it. Go do some research. Even the Currie super duper fancy oiling system in their diffs only support a max of 15*:

Good links. I'd seen the one from Pirate ages ago but couldn't find it this time around.

I'll quit trying to re-invent this thing and go back to B.

Im running regular 2-joint DS, about 31” long, pinion about 2-degree uphill, and we know mine cruises down the road fine

Saved for reference

More toyota legos, thanks to the above referenced thread.

Both Toyota CVs were in great shape and bolted right up to the transfer case. The front joint clears the trans by about 5mm at the closest point. Both shafts and the gas to pick them up cost less than one from Tom Woods. I'll take it.

I'll re-tube and put the LC pinion flanges on them this week.

20210518_212201.jpg

20210518_212206.jpg

20210518_212318.jpg

Driveshafts are built and installed, and shocks are in. Little runs around the block and to the brewery weren't any fun anymore so she hit the highway. Today she hangs out with the classy dailies at the plant.

She drove really, really well! So much so that I might need to get some ATs for daily duty and thin the fleet a little.

Front shocks are from a 2nd gen Ram 2500 4x4 and the rears are fronts from a F250. Great on the street - we'll see how they do on the trail. I'm thinking they'll be a little too soft.

20210524_182244.jpg

20210524_182315.jpg

20210525_074956.jpg

Last edited:
70 miles of daily commute later and she's chugging along nicely. Feeling good about stretching its legs over to Blairsville this weekend.

One MAJOR finding...holy crap at the exhaust drone above 65mph. It comes on suddenly and is completely intolerable. Gotta get that sorted.

Otherwise, the earlier list is down to just the compressor. I'll do that over beers at GSMTR if I have to. And Jess has been rocking it with putting down some FatMat to help keep some heat and noise down - got the whole floor done!

Tonight's task was dropping the trans pan to see what I may have shaken loose and to change out the shifter detent arm:

20210526_201506.jpg

Didn't find anything surprising in the pan, and the shifter works super smooth now. Double win.

My real problem now is lack of radio. Gotta get some tunes going!

Last edited:
I gotta get by there to lend a hand so you’ll return the favor. May of missed it but where does the exhaust dump. I had a exhaust dump to early and not out the back and it had the the drone you describe. Taking it out the back solves the issue.

@NC LX , there's no tailpipe for now. The system terminates with the muffler outlet. Im hoping that getting it routed out the back kills this racket.

@NC LX , there's no tailpipe for now. The system terminates with the muffler outlet. Im hoping that getting it routed out the back kills this racket.
What size outlet is the muffler? I’ve got a 5’ left over section of 3” if you need it

Put about 500 miles on the rig this weekend and definitely shook a few gremlins loose. But! The gears are worn in now, so I'm looking forward to giving it some throttle and enjoying the power.

Main problem is the fuel pickup. Once it's at half a tank she'll stall on grades and coming out of curves. Almost didn't make it into Blairsville, GA thanks to that one. I'll drop the tank and see what's going on.

2nd is the rear pinion seal. She died at some point on the trip and has given me a nice coat of rust prevention. I noticed when I built the rear end that the flange had a good groove in it, but I figured cleaning it up a bit would let it run...I figured incorrectly.

3rd is the rear shocks. Nice on the road, but way too soft on the trail.

Last "problem" is the exhaust. I added a tailpipe and got it routed away pretty well but the system is still not right. It's getting a cat too. So a rethink is in order, but this is at the bottom on purpose.

A comfort I didn't realize would be so missed is a 12V outlet... I'll add a few of those here soon.

Last edited:
Put about 500 miles on the rig this weekend and definitely shook a few gremlins loose. But! The gears are worn in now, so I'm looking forward to giving it some throttle and enjoying the power.

Main problem is the fuel pickup. Once it's at half a tank she'll stall on grades and coming out of curves. Almost didn't make it into Blairsville, GA thanks to that one. I'll drop the tank and see what's going on.

2nd is the rear pinion seal. She died at some point on the trip and has given me a nice coat of rust prevention. I noticed when I was built the rear end that the flange had a good groove in it, but I figured cleaning it up a bit would let it run...I figured incorrectly.

3rd is the rear shocks. Nice on the road, but way too soft on the trail.

Last "problem" is the exhaust. I added a tailpipe and got it routed away pretty well but the system is still not right. It's getting a cat too. So a rethink is in order, but this is at the bottom on purpose.

A comfort I didn't realize would be so missed is a 12V outlet... I'll add a few of those here soon.

Wheeling gremlins getting worked out soon? Want action pics, excited to see more action shots.

we gonna test this thing later this month. :grinpimp:

Heck yeah we are.

I'm gonna get these issues sorted out and then maybe make a run out to Iron Gap. There will definitely be a few action shots for you @NookShneer if that run happens.

Replacement flange and seal is on the way and the fueling problem is explained/resolved:

20210601_205149.jpg

^^^ something is missing....

20210601_175121.jpg

^^^ that's why...

The dealer's tech bent the dang pick-up tube to make a lazier install rather than fish it through the baffle back when the tank was replaced. Fix the pick-up tube or go the in-tank route while it's down... decision time. I'll sleep on it and make the call. The inline pump makes more sense for me for the long term. I fixed the bent up mess and voila...it landed in the pickup basket:

20210601_205351.jpg

Onto the next one...

Last edited:
dealerships man.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom