Builds Bring back my Dads FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yep I can give my point of view if your looking for another.

Im definitely Interested in any tip or info you can share. Every time I think I make a decision on a tub I read or hear something that makes me second guess myself!

I know what you mean. Took me better than a year to finally decide on what to buy. There’s lots of choices and lots of info. I live in a very wet and rust prone part of the world and wanted to choose as such. Aftermarket Steel tubs seem to have a lot of inconsistencies surrounding them and mine was way to far gone to rebuild. It all comes down to what are your goals with the truck? If I had the chance to rebuild my tub and was just building a Bush truck I would go that route or look into a poor Wally steel tub. Aqualu is really good as well I’m super happy with it. Plan on lots of fitting and prep for painting. Gozzard are also supposed to be great but I have never seen one. I’ve heard they are much more quiet ride. I would keep researching and in the meantime rebuild your axels and whatever else is on the list and slowly make an educated decision about the tub route that you want to go.

Pm me if you want specific info on painting and prep etc or if you want to chat we can set up a time to call and speak directly

Nice story. I often wish I could get back the first FJ40 I bought back in 79. My Dad drove beetles then so nothing I would like there

I am part of the local club and a lot of the members have rebuilt 40's and could be a resource for you Rising Sun 4WD Club of Colorado

I have an Aqualu tub. It was already installed when I bought it 6 years ago and I have had no issues

Good Luck with your build

Great to meet you last night Sean! Welcome to the club and hit me up when/if you need a hand.

So, it’s been awhile since I posted! I’ve been working on it slowly these past few weeks. I have replaced the starter, and just got in my D.U.I. Also, got fuel lines, brake lines and new gas tank! But before all that I had to clean her again! I can believe how bad the rust really is and how much grease and oil was covering everything. Here are a few pictures of her in the sun with her top off! I also scored some 31x10.5 DuraTracs for a great price. Still planning on restoring the original wheels, but these will work for now.

7E98B2BB-3918-4964-B79C-7296C5848880.jpeg

7CB2C684-3FBB-4838-B103-CAC8567A9C2D.jpeg

2912D5FA-CAA8-45CE-BCCB-CAF9FE9E5F0E.jpeg

9B219FD9-DBEE-4BCF-AD2C-89219F2BB7CD.jpeg

Today was a great day!!
I installed the DUI and fixed some wiring, and it fired up!! Now I did use starter fluid because I currently have the fuel tank and lines pulled. Can I attached a video, it’s not great but.... I also pulled the plugs out after and did a compression test. All between 108-111. The last 40 I had was in the 90s and ran like a champ for years, so I’m excited about those numbers. I’m guessing they will improve a little too once I can run it for an extended period of time and warm it up. hopefully in the next week or so I can get the fuel system, brakes and suspension done. The wife is tired of the boxes of parts I have accumulating!

Got the front seats in today! I’m nowhere close to installing them, but I didn’t want to lose them to another bidder in the meantime. Super stoked

View attachment 2195095
Those look very clean. So you are going with a little different front seat setup than what was stock in the U.S.? My Aussie HJ47 has that seating arrangement and it’s great for cruising the kids around.

Those look very clean. So you are going with a little different front seat setup than what was stock in the U.S.? My Aussie HJ47 has that seating arrangement and it’s great for cruising the kids around.

Yea, I’m putting the bench in front for just that reason. We have a 15 and 18 yo that don’t like to wheel or camp to much with us anymore because they are too cool for that, but then we have three younger children that still love it. This will give room for 5! I was also considering the longer jump seats, but have decided against that for the time being.

It’s been awhile since I posted, so here’s a quick update. I finally made the decision to take my cruiser from my brother in-laws shop to my house. No matter how good my intentions were I just wasn’t getting over there enough to work on it.
Today I was able to remove the rear sill. As you can see from the floor there was more rust then sill! I also cleaned up some of the rust, and I test fit my new seat because that seemed like the logical next step in the rebuild process.

AAE95EE7-64D0-4888-8BB4-C15090697B0D.jpeg

426BDBE6-D816-4C0E-A770-366DF9896023.jpeg

DAAE561C-999E-48C4-ACDE-039411D4BD55.jpeg

BCDC1471-2556-41EF-91E2-56F31BE67B5E.jpeg

37E9BA21-557F-45E0-BFA5-53F7471BB988.jpeg

I'd suggest you may want to brace (rebar tack weld) across the top rear to maintain the clearance
you had before removal of that sill. These things tend to sag and change during
body work and you want to have the same measurements after welding so you don't
have any door fitment issues.

It’s been awhile since I posted, so here’s a quick update. I finally made the decision to take my cruiser from my brother in-laws shop to my house. No matter how good my intentions were I just wasn’t getting over there enough to work on it.
Today I was able to remove the rear sill. As you can see from the floor there was more rust then sill! I also cleaned up some of the rust, and I test fit my new seat because that seemed like the logical next step in the rebuild process.
I find small victories very rewarding. Do brace the rear of the tub.

I'd suggest you may want to brace (rebar tack weld) across the top rear to maintain the clearance
you had before removal of that sill. These things tend to sag and change during
body work and you want to have the same measurements after welding so you don't
have any door fitment issues.
Will do! I was noticing a little play today. I’ll measure it up and put a few bars across.

Well at least I’m getting some work done on the 40 this week! I’ve got both front and rear axles completely torn down, 3rd members off and ready for lockers, carb pulled off and prep for FI done, brake booster and master off and new ones mocked up. Hopefully tomorrow I can get all the new seals and bearings fitted. I also got all new ball joints that will go on the the front end I took apart and all new U-Joints went in today!

Side note: I bought a parts washer from HF and wow did it make cleaning all this stuff a breeze! I didn’t even know these existed and now I’m not sure how I got this far without one??

Sean

33B2C91A-DBE8-4DAE-8E99-A2B53F3A4257.jpeg

2D1AF160-ABFF-4741-8381-475ECCDCCA2E.jpeg

B61F3471-CE0B-4BFE-B511-D9D4650D0EAC.jpeg

B6BC4D7D-D446-4CE1-85A0-3D6AE2DF6AFC.jpeg

58B398F7-FBC0-436C-A008-4D324DF69958.jpeg

More work today! I got motivated and pulled the rear leafs and rear axle out. Holy lord we’re those old shackles and pins stuck. New suspension has been sitting in the boxes for 6 months now! But, as soon as I was just gonna pull and bolt everything new back I decided that wasn’t smartest decision. So, we’re gonna scrape and sand the frame and POR15 it. Look at all that rust! Also, I think I’m gonna save up a little and replace the body mounts.

27061ABF-9A73-4C8D-8D9D-661D6285F8E6.jpeg

EDCD1C7B-BA9E-48E8-8620-38512BAA9668.jpeg

3C37E7A7-7CF6-474A-9FC7-76A158EBF306.jpeg

09315053-3B5C-49E2-A8E2-967D8A2CA414.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom