Trade Boise: Have A440F, Want H55F (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DoubleNickels

SILVER Star
Threads
Hey there. A local shop performed a tranny swap for a fellow local cruiser head and had this take-out A440F. I bought it as a spare for if/when mine goes out on my 1989 FJ62. I'd entertain trading it for someone's manual H55F. Some pictures below, please reply or PM me if interested. Thanks!

20160802_185419.jpeg
20160802_185238.jpeg

is that unit rebuilt? You know there is alot more value in an old H55 than in a fresh A440? don't get me wrong, kudos for trying. If you had to put a cash value on the auto, what would it be?

Thanks @LAMBCRUSHER , I definitely value your opinion on here.

Value vs. cost... I'd love to see some real numbers. As the owner of an FJ62 I can tell you I fear the day when my auto tranny is roached. There's just no cheap replacement or repair, hence the reason you see owners undertake an H55F swap if they're willing to do the work themselves.

Can you point me to some pricing? Looking at SOR, CCOT, etc.... the H55F and A440F are more comparable than you'd think. We could call beno in to get some real $$ mentioned.

Cool discussion, thanks.

A440F for H42 would probably be a lot easier to do.

That's the diesel, I think the splines are different

That's the diesel, I think the splines are different

Guess I'll have to do a diesel swap along with it, then. Those are cheap, right? ;)

Not sure about you 60's guys but I have already scrapped a dozen Automatic Cruiser trannies because people woukd not even pay the shipping on it,I have never trown away any 5 speeds( long time ago I scrapped some diesel 4 speeds with the B diesel attached to it DOH should have kept those)

Manual trannies always command a premium used over used autos especially for Cruisers imhop

I couldn't sell a rebuilt A440f that had 30K miles on it a few years ago. I gave it away.

Good luck! :)

You could always stuff the A440 with about $1500 and trade that!

A tranny swap?

Ah... "it". I see what you're asking. Yes, it would appear I'm off my rocker...

Last edited:
shoot, man didn't mean to stir the S-pot. I guess I was asking if that trans you have was rebuilt or not...

and I think we've passed the OK-to-throw-"useless"-stuff-off-these-old-trucks-away threashold a couple of weeks ago(sorry Matt)...so don't scrap it whatever you do...

shoot, man didn't mean to stir the S-pot. I guess I was asking if that trans you have was rebuilt or not...

No worries. Stirring the pot keeps us all sharp. The transmission is NOT rebuilt, further solidifying Splangy's assumption that I'm smoking something.

The diesel H55Fs will work if they are from H series engines. The B series engines have a much longer input shaft and different spline count. A442fs are the same deal. I have two of them sitting. Occasionally someone will need a torque convertor. Really this is a good thing, it shows how durable the Toyota 440/442 transmissions really are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom