BJ73 front fog light help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The front fog lights on my 1991 BJ73 are not getting power at any time during my ownership. With the headlights on the switch and the dash indicator light up when the switch is on, but no power to the connection at the front bumper. I’ve checked with headlights on dim, bright and off.

The ground from the lights traces to a ground point on the front left inner fender and has continuity. Power is a red wire with black dots that traces back through the firewall. I can’t find the wire inside the firewall with the minor panel removal I’ve done so far. The fuse block at the drivers left foot does not list a fuse for these.

Is there another fuse or relay block I have yet to find? Before I rip further into the dash, do a anyone have any diagrams or tips on how to trace this further?

Tom

You should be looking for one or more electrical relays connected to the fog light switch.
There should be a block of relays behind the dash along with the turn flasher unit.

I have PIAA fog lights that were on the truck when I bought it.
They were wired in a way that prevented them being on at the same time as the main headlights.
There was a small plastic box the wiring ran into and out of on the way to the lights.
This box had small relays in it along with some printed circuitry.
One day it all stopped working so I rewired the whole mess.
I have one relay each for fog light low and high beams.
The actual power for the fog lights now comes right from the batteries through a fusible link.
Only the relay wiring runs through the fuse box.

You should be looking for one or more electrical relays connected to the fog light switch.
There should be a block of relays behind the dash along with the turn flasher unit.

I have PIAA fog lights that were on the truck when I bought it.
They were wired in a way that prevented them being on at the same time as the main headlights.
There was a small plastic box the wiring ran into and out of on the way to the lights.
This box had small relays in it along with some printed circuitry.
One day it all stopped working so I rewired the whole mess.
I have one relay each for fog light low and high beams.
The actual power for the fog lights now comes right from the batteries through a fusible link.
Only the relay wiring runs through the fuse box.
Thanks. I’ll dig in tomorrow and see what I can find.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom