BJ73 12V Headlight issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys

New here, hopefully you guys can help me out a bit.

Ive got some weird dramas with my headlights on my 12V 86 BJ73.
Firstly, the driving lights will work correctly, low beams will turn on when the should, high beams will work when the stalk is pushed forward, however when pulled back to flash the high beams, the low beam relay is activated and the low beams flash without the addition of the high beam. This means that when the low beams are on, you cannot pull the stalk back and flash the high beam. Secondly just for the sake of maddening the unhelpful, the high beams wont work at all in any position when the high beam indicator globe in the instrument cluster is installed.
Now Ive checked all fuses and relays appear to be good, Ive pulled out the beam selector switch and it appears to be fairly new but have cleaned the contacts regardless. I found a bad solder joint on the beam selector switch and re soldered it and that has only got me to this stage with my current issues. When the high beam is activated by pushing the stalk forward power does go to the contact pad on the back of the dash for the high beam indicator globe as it should, yet somehow the globe wont illuminate when it is given power (and before you ask yes the globe is good) and whenever the globe is installed it somehow interrupts or blocks the circuit for the high beam when you push the stalk forward and it wont activate at all. There is a strange gremlin in this thing and I cant quite find where it lives.
Just for a bit of additional info, the previous owner has installed a set of LED round headlights to this car which I'd like to keep, (and this issue has been present since the day I bought it) and its been fitted with a JTX H4 wiring loom to solve reverse polarity/ earth switching with the new headlights and seems to work a treat (except for my obvious dilemma). I'm of the impression that whatever is causing the issue here is further back or in the original wiring as I've already tried removing/disconnecting ALL LED headlight wiring and mods and plugging in one of the original sealed beam headlights only to have the exact same issue occur.
Ive been running around with the multi-meter for days, checking relays, switches and tracing wiring, and now have the dash and steering column in pieces with not a whole lot of joy as to where to look next.
This is turning into a bit of a mind****🤬
If anyone here has any ideas as to where/what to look for from here or what the issue could be, any help would be appreciated.

Cheers!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom