Builds Big Red Toy (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Getting super excited about this. Im down if we're serious.
I even have some spare panels to do demos and practice on:). I shoot in an open environment (my barn) so temp control is managed by Mother Nature.

That would be awesome. We can cut the hood and install the louvers if anyone is interested as well. I don't trust my own measurements :) .

The parts came in, but im still away for another 10 days or so. I really hope this shroud and 180* thermometer fix my heating issues. I plan to relocate the current electric fan from the radiator to the ac condenser once I install the new fans and shroud. I also got a new 120 amp alternator to help run everything. I might have to use the old pulley if the belt doesn't have enough wrap.

IMG-20180618-WA0004.jpg
IMG-20180620-WA0003.jpg
IMG-20180621-WA0017.jpg
IMG-20180621-WA0016.jpg

That would be awesome. We can cut the hood and install the louvers if anyone is interested as well. I don't trust my own measurements :) .
I bet I spend two hours taping the hood when I installed them on my old Jeep. I measured a million times second guessing myself. Be sure to place them somewhere you won’t be cutting into the support on the underside.

I even have some spare panels to do demos and practice on:). I shoot in an open environment (my barn) so temp control is managed by Mother Nature.
I have a few spare fenders and hood that are too far gone that can be used as well.

This picture doesn't show it. But I have a large surface rust bubble on the other side of the tail gate . Someone needs to show me how tip get rid of it and we can paying it to match.

20180611_180627.jpg

Here's the tailgate. Some bubbles, all the rust is on the surface.
View attachment 1728611
Mike, there is usually something on the underside when it’s doing that on the surface. Have you been able to inspect it closely from both sides. If the underside is good and there are no holes etc. then it can be ground down, treated, floated and then painted. Otherwise you’ll want to patch it. Also curious with the color. Was this previously on your truck or is it a new tailgate? Would be glad to help you fix it as well. Thanks. Jim.

Mike, there is usually something on the underside when it’s doing that on the surface. Have you been able to inspect it closely from both sides. If the underside is good and there are no holes etc. then it can be ground down, treated, floated and then painted. Otherwise you’ll want to patch it. Also curious with the color. Was this previously on your truck or is it a new tailgate? Would be glad to help you fix it as well. Thanks. Jim.

Jim,

I got this tailgate from Edwin, it's from a rig (what's left of it) that is behind his shop. We looked at it, it seems to be the only place that has rust. The underside of it looks new, unlike my current tailgate which has a few rust areas that need the rust cut out. I'll be back in town by Monday and will start putting the new parts on, after that I guess it's ready for the cosmetic work. I just to need to know what supplies to get and see who all is interested in learning about painting. Thanks Jim.

That's the louver company I used too. Not cheap but a nice product. When you cut out the hood you do not need to cut out the support brace underneath, just the skin. If I were to do my louvers over I'd probably move mine back 2-4" but they have helped where I put them. It depends on what you what to acheive but closer to the front will be more negative pressure (air flow over the top going down the road will suck out underhood air) and louvers more towards the back of the hood will be positive pressure (pushes air down the vent into the engine bay).

That's the louver company I used too. Not cheap but a nice product. When you cut out the hood you do not need to cut out the support brace underneath, just the skin. If I were to do my louvers over I'd probably move mine back 2-4" but they have helped where I put them. It depends on what you what to acheive but closer to the front will be more negative pressure (air flow over the top going down the road will suck out underhood air) and louvers more towards the back of the hood will be positive pressure (pushes air down the vent into the engine bay).
Can you post up pics. And your recommended location since we have similar set ups.

I can't seem to find any good pics of them to post. I'll have to take some new ones that show them better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom