Builds Big Red Toy (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

https://www.metalsupermarkets.com/which-metals-conduct-heat-best/

upload_2018-6-7_15-51-27.png

I don't know if the non-aluminum radiators are all copper, copper and brass construction, or all brass.

I'd try out one of those aluminum radiators. Cheap enough to try.

I'd try out one of those aluminum radiators. Cheap enough to try.
I think I will add two 12 in fans on the other side of the radiator first. If that doesn't fix it then I'll look into a different radiator. Just drove it back from Ft Worth. Looks like 210 is the new norm for now.

Just measured it, maybe two 10 inch fans between the radiator and condenser to push air thru. Figured with the louvers it should help. Definitely won't go above 210.

20180609_215720.jpg

I think I will add two 12 in fans on the other side of the radiator first. If that doesn't fix it then I'll look into a different radiator. Just drove it back from Ft Worth. Looks like 210 is the new norm for now.
Wish I saw that 3 row champion with two sets of fans for my cruiser swap. I’m on electrical now on mine. That setup would be sweet.

I’d spend the $350 and upgrade Mike
That's just it, I'm not sure aluminum is an upgrade. The radiator I have is only a few years old. Plus two fans for less than $40 may end up fixing it. If not, then I'll upgrade.

Last edited:
It'll climb if I go above 75mph. I'm not sure if it's bad, I'm just not used to it. I'm not sure what a 4bt's normal temp range is.

The 4BT is just the smaller version of the 6BT. I’m sure @jakerudy has an answer.

My 6BT is running an aluminum radiator with a mechanical fan. The radiator out of the donor truck looked original and I figured I'm in this deep why stop at the radiator? It has been my understanding that the electric fans are an advantage at slow speeds for air movement but offer less advantage at highway speeds. I'm using the original temp gauge so am not sure what actual temp the coolant is running but the gauge has not climbed on me at any speed, load, or outside temp.

A couple of years ago I changed the thermostat in my '01 Dodge and it seems like it was 190 degrees. It will climb a little pulling a heavy trailer (20k lbs or so) uphill in hot weather but never enough to cause worry.

Never had a 4BT but is sounds like they have a tighter happy operating range than the 6BT.

Running the 4bt at 210F is a little warm but not in any danger zone. The bummer is that there isn't much heat capacity left for pulling a trailer or charging up hills. If it were a constant 220F then I'd be worried. Along with better electric fans that move more air (can't remember what you are using now) you could do some flaps on the fan shroud to allow highway air to bypass the fans and provide more flow through the cooling row.

Running the 4bt at 210F is a little warm but not in any danger zone. The bummer is that there isn't much heat capacity left for pulling a trailer or charging up hills. If it were a constant 220F then I'd be worried. Along with better electric fans that move more air (can't remember what you are using now) you could do some flaps on the fan shroud to allow highway air to bypass the fans and provide more flow through the cooling row.

I'm going to start a slow process of elimination. I saw some electric fans with shrouds that fit the 62 radiator, but first I'm going to get a thermostat that opens at 180*. This is just to make sure that current one I have isn't partially shut and it's the cheapest route. If that doesn't work I'm adding the fans and then the louvers, just to have that extra heat capacity in case I drive up a mountain with a trailer.

What are the EGT’s running?

It depends on how I'm driving, but I can keep it below or near 1100 now.

I picked up this rust free tailgate for $100. Then I found out the guy who was gonna start painting big red decided to take another job. So now that's looking like it won't be happening soon. I still intend to cut the hood up and install the louvers.

20180611_180627.jpg

Are you going cheap, okay, or good paint job? I’ll be looking for a okay paint job on the 75 when I’m done with it. Let me know who you use.

Are you going cheap, okay, or good paint job? I’ll be looking for a okay paint job on the 75 when I’m done with it. Let me know who you use.
I was going for a good one at a decent price, but now my guy decided to retire today so it kinda reshuffled my priority list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom