Best Light Bar Options for 2nd gen 4r? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey there guys, i have a 91 Surf and since its getting pretty dark earlier and earlier I'm planning on installing some lights and would like some advice. My primary use is going down FSR's, so ideally i would like to see my surroundings as well as the road fairly well.

The front bumper is highly reflective chrome, (Its stock and i wonder about its placement every day) and the majority of my highbeam light shines directly back into my eyes, so they don't quite cut it.

Would a single lightbar mounted on the bottom rail of the bumper (See Picture) be more than enough for my needs? Or should i get 2 pods pointed at an angle either side, with a smaller one in the middle?

One option i was looking at is linked here, it advertises a FLOOD beam which is kind of what im looking for, and i could either mount the 2 pods on the front as well, or wire them up to the back for additional reverse lights.

Is anyone here well versed in the world of lighting and could give me a hand? Thanks!

py1H1c7.jpg

6kj7vnp12qv31.jpg

I'm a little bit late here but I'll share my thoughts anyway. I personally like having pods or auxiliary lighting over a bar as you can individually aim each light to get the ideal pattern for you and adjust them when the terrain changes if you want. Every bar I've had just doesnt seem to put the light right where I want it.

I've had experience with a lot of cheap bars from ebay, amazon, extreme led, northern lights, riorand, kawell, etc. On all of them, the lenses faded and turned yellow very quickly, powder coat faded and peeled off in spots within a couple years and the optics are poor. Most of them suffered condensation issues behind the lens. Having said that though, the LEDs continued to work on all of them except the riorand and kawell bars.

If you are willing to spend more money on lights then you can't go wrong with Baja Designs or Vision X. A pair of Xl80's in driving combo or wide cornering would be great for your application. I have experience with the LP9's and they are fantastic lights. Diode dynamics also makes great bars for a bit cheaper and just came out with their SS3 pods. My favorite cheaper brand that I've had great experience with is JGL. I put 4 of these lights on my bumper and they outshine my previous 240w 42" curved 5d auxbeam and 32" 320w with 8° spot optics combined and they are only 25w each.
Bang for my dollar these have been my favourite lights. They sell covers you can snap on to change the optics from spot to flood or euro and also different colors. They are copies of the vision x 4.7" light cannon. You have to deal with them by email and ask if you can order a sample pair or 2 as their MOQ is something silly like 24 lights. Lol. Hope this helps. Black Friday deals are going on for Baja Designs, vision x and diode dynamics right now. I do have pictures of the lights that I have as well. Any other questions you have for me, feel free to ask.

I should also add, that in general and with all other things being equal, the bigger and deeper the reflector and the higher the power LED chip the better it will be. The TIR (Total Internal Reflection) that diode dynamics engineered can't be compared this way though.

Last edited:
Thanks for the Reply.

The biggest uspet i've had in searching for lighting options online is the amount of photoshop. For example on amazon, the photo's brightness is just turned up. It's nigh impossible to get an accurate representation of what lights can do.

Those lights you mentioned are kind out of my budget, but they still look pretty cool. I might just end up going to a local shop and seeing what they have in stock, and test light them up in the parking lot when its dark out.

That works too. The JGL lights I have were $42 a pair plus shipping. They are still my favorite light purchase. Way better bang for the buck than the higher end brands. They also sell light bars and other pods as well.

Screenshot_20190731-164946_Office Mobile.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom