"best" 2F (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I thought that is because of the guide boss outer diameter, and that the OEM bosses are bigger than the SBC, but I don't know for certain. I do know you have always mentioned use of the ford seals with the SBC valves, and wish I knew why!

The guide OD of SBC doesn't matter because they don't use a positive seal that installs on the guide. The standard SBC umbrella seals could be used in the 2F application, but I don't use sh1tty:poop: umbrella seals on anything.
The solution :idea: is to use a guide trimmer tool to make the guide height & OD look like some relatively modern Ford w/ 11/32 valve stem that uses a positive seal on the guide.

Figured I'd give this thread an "end of the year" bump since I'm trying to finalize the setup for a rebuild of a 2F for my Silver 1985 FJ60.

I purchased the vehicle a few months ago with a cracked head knowing that worst case we'd have to pull the engine. Well it ended up being worst case. After spending hours on Mud and talking to folks much smarter than I (thanks @beno and @FJ60Cam) I think I've finally settled on a direction for the engine:

Head: 1984 61040 casting, machined for flatness only (or should we take more?), oil galley plug tapped and threaded, desmogged
Valves: SBC Stainless, 1.84x4.88 Intake (SEV-3091) and 1.50x4.88 Exhaust (SEV-2809)
Valve Seals: Ford seals from a pushrod V6 (maybe their 3.0 engine? Still searching for the correct part number)
Valve Springs: SBC Short springs, standard rate?
Head Gasket: OEM Toyota

Block: 1985 Original Block, Bored 0.060 over (we need to go at least 0.040 to clean up cylinder 5)
Pistons: OEM Toyota 0.060 over
Rings: Hastings Moly 0.060 over
Crank: 0.010 undersize
Rod Bearings: Mahle/Clevite
Main Bearings: Mahle/Clevite
Cam: Factory Cam reground to a slightly more aggressive profile (need to confirm profile, .262 maybe?)
Cam Bearings: Mahle/Clevite
Lifters: Factory lifters reground

Intake Manifold: Factory Toyota
Exhaust Manifold: Factory Toyota (Unless going to a header setup would be more ideal for the engine)
Gaskets: OEM Toyota with new new Heat Riser plate from Cruiser Outfitters

Carburetor: Factory Toyota, rebuilt

Am I missing anything or making a glaring mistake with this setup? I want to keep the reliability of the 2F but give it more low end "oomph" for offroading and carrying weight as an overlanding rig (if reasonable). Needless to say I'm anxious to get any feedback you guys are willing to give and thanks in advance.

These are older quotes so perhaps the Toyota manifold gasket has been improved. In my searches I’ve also noticed Mark W swears by Felpro. Think they both say dry, no goup:meh:

No, absolutely not.

One good Felpro gasket, flat manifolds, good fasteners, torqued to the top end of the spec.

The Felpro graphlex gasket has been out for many years now, and has proven to be the best solution to the difficult manifold sealing problem. It's so good that Toyota has replaced the sh1tty punched foil gasket with the graphlex one.

you want to get a remflex manifold gasket.

you want to get a remflex manifold gasket.

All of my gaskets came from @beno and I'm pretty sure they are graphlex type gaskets for the manifolds (I know the two gaskets that go between the intake and exhaust manifold are and pretty sure the main gasket is as well)

I also grabbed a Remflex manifold gasket for my other project FJ60 that has a leak so I can always use that one if needed.

My main concerns right now are making sure I get the correct grind on the cam for the 0.060 bore as well as set up the head correctly with the SBC parts. I'm still not totally confident in those areas.

Following up @Delancy thread ending thread...

1fz - h55f -split case. All sourced here in USA....no need for importing / and a brand new H55f plus bellhousing vs very used h151f for the same price.

Also this opens up the option for the NWF doubler if you wanted deep gearing options.

Funny part is that I had a buddy Bring me a 3F block to the Black hills Cruiser classic cause I thought that a 3F had 7 main bearings.... Boy was I wrong!!!

:D

I like this thread because it brings misconceptions out in to the open :)
@Mace That block is still in my garage here in New Mexico :), which goes to show you that this thread also brings history out in to the open.

BTW, I've got everything but the head bolts needed to build a spare 3FE for my '86 FJ60, so the block will probably get used.

LOL awesome :)

Oldie but goodie thread. Curious if solid timing gears still available? What’s the part number for the Ford valve stem seals? And what are people using for the rod bolts?

Last edited:
yep

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom