Asking price for 1996 FZJ80 with engine knock (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, title says it all. I'm looking to sell my 80. It has a pretty serious lower end knock, and every resource I've read says that it will be needing a full engine rebuild. Where should I start with the price? I wish I could part it out, But I don't have the garage space or the time to tear it apart and try to sell parts.

188k miles, fair amount of surface rust on the undercarriage, and some minor spots of body rust as well.

Don't worry, I bought a better 80 :)

i have picked up 3 needing engines and i paid less than a grand for all 3 of them. i am sure thats not what you wanted to hear but just letting you know what they go for here.

with lockers you should be able to get 1500.

without...... sorry.

Well, title says it all. I'm looking to sell my 80. It has a pretty serious lower end knock, and every resource I've read says that it will be needing a full engine rebuild. Where should I start with the price? I wish I could part it out, But I don't have the garage space or the time to tear it apart and try to sell parts.

188k miles, fair amount of surface rust on the undercarriage, and some minor spots of body rust as well.

Don't worry, I bought a better 80 :)
What year is it and where is it located?

i have picked up 3 needing engines and i paid less than a grand for all 3 of them. i am sure thats not what you wanted to hear but just letting you know what they go for here.

Just realized you said less than a grand for 3, not less than 3 grand for all. Disregard my last reply.

Still, thanks for the input!

If you decide to sell or part it, let me know, I'm in bear lake and would be interested.

IDK your capabilities there at your house, but a 188K drivetrain even with open diffs is a candidate either to swap a used 1FZ longblock or a V8/glowplug swap.

Minus the rust, a open diff FZJ would be my pick to LS3 & add a rear ARB locker. Yours has merit as a full-float & relatively low miles.

Parting will probably net you more $$ - unless it's a crash & repaint free cabin. Then I'd sell as a swap motor candidate.

What you have is a prime candidate for swap folks - I'd give further details/pics of the rust issue then decide up front if you rather sell as a whole & if it's worth being a swap body/frame or if parting is in your capabilities, then advertise in the 80/450 classifieds here.

Maybe just wholesale it to Jason/ @arcteryx if parting is out of your wheelhouse, or you rather just not deal with the hassle??

I've seen them go for $500-$900 with bad engines. Then again that was a couple years ago and popularity here has grown. Now people from California have come up here and ruined our entire economy with their overzealous spending on junk. Last non runner I saw was in Washington and they wanted and must have got $1700 because it went fairly quick. So, since nobody has said it, it's worth whatever someone will pay for it. Target Californians and you'll likely get the most if you want to sell it. Just post it for $4k and wait a couple weeks, if it doesn't sell then drop to $3500 etc.. until you either don't feel it's worth it to sell or it is sold.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom