Anyone have experience with the Mar-tack method? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm to the point in my mini truck disc swap that it's time to install the axles and birfs. After separating one birf from the axle shaft and thinking about what a PIA it's gonna be to reinstall the inner clip, I got to thinking that maybe I should just go with the mar-tack method and never have to mess with it again. Only problem is I have no welder...Anyone feel confident enough with the process to hook a brother up?

Thanks
Jason

I've done it, but I'm a good ways away from you. I've also used a hose clamp to compress the hog ring to get it in the splines. That worked well for me.

Ha! I just did this today on Stacey's 40 that I'm working on. I did it because I destroyed the inner clips when I was separating the birfs from the inners and I don't have any spare clips.

Like Mark said, you can use a hose clamp or zip tie to compress the clip to get it inside the birf.

If you still want to do the martack, I can take care of it for you.

Josh I destroyed my clips too. I don't think there's any way to avoid that. If you don't mind, I'd like to do it. Mainly for future repairs so I don't have to mess with that damn clip. Shoot me a text and let me know when you're available and I'll bring them by. Thanks

After going through the front axle on my 80-series where a PO did the Martack method, I will not go back to the Martack. I run clips in the birfs and at the locking hub. Before putting on the inner circlip, I squeeze it tight so that it's snug in the groove on the inner shaft when installed. I have never destroyed an inner circlip getting one out with the "slamming pipe" method. I've also used the "slam on an open vise" method with great success.

Georg - orangefj45 (???) - carries all the clips you need. I will never run without the clips. It's peace of mind for me, and I'm pretty sure running without caused premature wear of my birf, which required a $100 rebuild from RCV. Now, you will probably have better luck than I did because the PO didn't run a snap ring at the locking hub (dumb...).

Just my two cents.

Did that 80 axle have locking hubs or a part time kit? Did it see a lot of road miles? I'm just curious because most of us won't even break 500 miles a year on the front axle internals whereas a stock 80 series does thousands of miles. I could see where an 80 axle that was poorly assembled would wreck some birfs. That outer snap ring was probably your biggest cause.

I have it done on mine... I have blowed up the inside cage and ball bearings inside of a birf before.... Never really thought about it being the MT..... Hmmmmm

If done properly I don't see how MT could cause damage. Acts the same as clips. Enlighten me if I'm missing something.

I believe your right.... From what I remember when we did mine it was not far from where the splines started from the inside if that makes sense...

Did that 80 axle have locking hubs or a part time kit? Did it see a lot of road miles? I'm just curious because most of us won't even break 500 miles a year on the front axle internals whereas a stock 80 series does thousands of miles. I could see where an 80 axle that was poorly assembled would wreck some birfs. That outer snap ring was probably your biggest cause.
The 80 did not have hubs or a part time kit. The chassis has 256k miles on it, and I have no clue how many of those miles were with the Longfields.

Yes, totally different on a Cruiser or mini-truck that has part-time / 2WD capability. I have no doubt that the lack of outer clips played a large role in the demise of the Birfs. However, I don't see enough of a benefit to mess with the Martack. Peace of mind and faith in Toyota's design far outweighs being able to pull axles quicker or easier separation on the trail. If I break, I'll pull the shaft on the trail or pull the driveshaft and unlock the hubs.

To each their own. I'm probably the only one who's become soured by a poor experience with a improper Martack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom