any local 2f pro's?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I had a strange problem happen to me after getting home from DSR last week. My ’60 died on me in traffic as I pulled into Topeka. I restarted it but it wouldn’t ‘idle’ without pumping the gas. It seemed to be missing on more than one cylinder. Once I got it in my driveway I checked it out. Keep in mind I just drove 80 miles at highway speeds with no apparent problem. It was making an odd whistling noise and wouldn’t idle with out holding the peddle, and when I say idle I mean a steady rpm well above 1500rpm, otherwise it would die. Above about 2500 rpms it seemed to smooth out. I consider my self a two and a half banana mechanic when it comes to engines but this one had me scratching my head.

First thing I checked was for obvious vacuum leaks: nothing I could see. This truck has all smog equipment intact so chasing vacuum lines can be a nightmare. Pulled the plugs and checked for spark = all had spark. Did a compression check = all between 130 -140. checked fuel in carb = ok. I then thought maybe cracked intake causing vacuum leak, I pulled carb and manifolds = all look ok. Checked the fuel cutoff circuit = ok. Egr looked ok and closed properly. All vacuum lines looked good.

What I did find while I had everything out? One of the hoses connecting from the air pump to valve dohickey was pulled loose but not completely off and a couple of vacuum lines were not connected where my Haynes manual showed they should. I also found a few small pieces of plastic in one of the hoses connecting to the air pump cluster, (obviously belonging to something important). So thinking that all this somehow may have contributed I reassembled everything and fired it up---nothing changed. Still running like butt and I wasted a Saturday. I get mad and slam the hood so I can roll it out into the driveway so I can wash the tuttle creek off that I brought home. I hop in and start it so I can limp out of the garage and it makes a popping noise and then continues into a smooth idle. Only god knows what happened but it fixed itself. (I then go in the house and brag to my wife that I fixed it, she rolls her eyes and mumbles something about it being self induced.)

Anyone have an idea what happened? Any chance this has happened to anyone else?? What was the whistle?

carb issues...fuel starvation...i mention it only because of jakes recent problem at DSR

osagecruiser

The whistle sounds like a vacumn leak. When it acts up again, use a peice of rubber hose for a stethescope and try to locate the whistle.
CC

that's what I was thinking when I first heard the whistling... I pulled all of the intake off one piece at a time and didn't find anything that was leaking...

I don't really know enough about carbs to confidently dig into this one. the PO bought a carb rebuild kit for it before I got it but its always ran good for me so I haven't felt the need.

matt
sorry i cant be of any help with the carb....mine is gm and i still can't do much with it...i am certain someone in our club will be able to help...

osagecruiser

One common problem with the 2f is a crack developes in the manifold, right below where the carb sits, I've read that whistling is sometimes associated with that. To check, you'll have to pull carb and take a flashlight to look down into it. My two bits, and I'm not a pro, but do read alot.
And I did stay in a Holiday Express last night.
cv

I have found that yes Cruiers do seem to be able to heal.
sounds like you had vac. leek.
you can check for crack in intake w/o removin carb. jus hold open thottle and look down thru with light.
also the throttle solenoind can, go bad, loose elect.power, clog with dirt. and engine will not idle.
c ya, don p.

I have found that yes Cruiers do seem to be able to heal.
sounds like you had vac. leek.
you can check for crack in intake w/o removin carb. jus hold open thottle and look down thru with light.
also the throttle solenoind can, go bad, loose elect.power, clog with dirt. and engine will not idle.
c ya, don p.

throttel solenoid as in the fuel cut thingy on the passenger side of the carb? is there a way to test that other than just giving it 12V and listening for the clicking?

I guess I can imaging dirt got stirred up in the tank while wheeling and made it's way up the system. I think I need to check for a cracked manifold again...

Check your carb idle solenoid. Have your head under the hood have someone click the key to run. If it clicks it's possibly good. Could be your fuse that runs the solenoid died. Very simple fix have hhad it happen tons of times on wagons! Fixed Sherpas at Moab.. Fixed sages when he bought the truck. SOme cruisers have a 2 prong wiring to the solenoid some have one wire and use the carb to ground.
It is a green plug located in the front of the carb wire goes around to the back of the carb it's approx a 17mm fitting that has a piston in it that allows the idle to work. It'll run at high rpm but not low.

Yep I would say if it clicks, key on engine off, it is ok.

Still one wonders what the plastic pieces are/were.

I have experienced the cracked manifold, solenoid died, smog air pump vanes came apart and locked pump. Not all at the same time thank heaven....

C Ya, Don P.

that the one. Mine has the big green two prong plug. I applied 12v via a jumper and it clicked like I was expecting. "engine" fuse is ok. do I need to pull the solenoid to check it's operation?

Like I said it is running now so maybe I better leave it until next time it acts up. I'm still wondering about the whistle...

Edit: don you type faster than me...:) What do the vanes in the pump look like? there not plasticy by chance? ;)

um, Thanks! I type with 2, sometimes 3 fingers......

If the idle solenoid is actin up, ain't gittin power, The rig won't idle.

The 2 wire plug can be replaced with the single wire. Just gotta git it pluged into the Hot wire, not the ground. It will then ground thru the carb-manifold-engine-frame-battery..

The vanes as I remember were a red color... I think..

C Ya, Don

um, Thanks! I type with 2, sometimes 3 fingers......

hehe, I type with 8 fingers but every 3rd key stroke is "backspace" to fix my horrible spelling...

I'm not sure what those plastic pieces were then. regardless it ran great this week.

Thanks for everyones input!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom