Builds Another Prado in Montana (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Awesome! What a fantastic motor. Great power and economy. Is that figure at the wheels, or flywheel?

That was measured at the wheels. I was too busy monitoring rpms and the pyrometer during the dyno pulls that I totally forgot to look at the speedometer, so I ran my maximum rpm through a gear ratio/road speed calculator and found that I would have been doing 157km/h in 4th! Very impressed with this little motor.

Here are the results of the other Cruisers that ran on the dyno today:
IMG_4160.JPG

That was measured at the wheels. I was too busy monitoring rpms and the pyrometer during the dyno pulls that I totally forgot to look at the speedometer, so I ran my maximum rpm through a gear ratio/road speed calculator and found that I would have been doing 157km/h in 4th! Very impressed with this little motor.

View attachment 3009196
Wow... the R2.8 compared to the 1HDT... not what I would have expected.

Wow... the R2.8 compared to the 1HDT... not what I would have expected.

Likewise. less displacement and less # of cylinders even on the R2.8 too (but then I don't know factory numbers for a new 1HDT).

The 1HD-T made 164hp and 266ft-lbs according to factory specifications. The one that ran on the dyno was a bone stock engine with an H150f transmission in a 60-series. I would love to see a moderately tuned 1HD-T on a dyno, I think it could put down some impressive numbers.

Unfortunately I wasn't there to see the R2.8 on the dyno, but it did have a tuner box plugged in for that run. Definitely impressive for a relatively small engine, goes to show what 20+ years of development has done for diesel engines.

The shop that had the dyno specializes in high performance tuning, I think the cruisers were among the lowest powered vehicles they'd ever run!

Very nice to see a comparison of engines all in one pic. Thanks!!

The 1HD-T made 164hp and 266ft-lbs according to factory specifications. The one that ran on the dyno was a bone stock engine with an H150f transmission in a 60-series. I would love to see a moderately tuned 1HD-T on a dyno, I think it could put down some impressive numbers.

Unfortunately I wasn't there to see the R2.8 on the dyno, but it did have a tuner box plugged in for that run. Definitely impressive for a relatively small engine, goes to show what 20+ years of development has done for diesel engines.

The shop that had the dyno specializes in high performance tuning, I think the cruisers were among the lowest powered vehicles they'd ever run!
It would be cool to see the difference between a stock 1HD-T and a 1HD-FTE.

For sure! I would also love to see a stock 1HD-FT thrown in the mix; everyone seems to prefer those over the 1HD-T but the factory power figures are almost the same between the two.

For sure! I would also love to see a stock 1HD-FT thrown in the mix; everyone seems to prefer those over the 1HD-T but the factory power figures are almost the same between the two.
Never owned a Cruiser with any of the 3 variants. I just putt along with my inferior 1HZ. 😊

Yeah, those R2.8 have to have a tuner box to get those numbers. Stock is like 160hp/307ft at the crank.

The VW 1.9's are great! I had bigger injectors and small tune and it screamed in the ALH Jetta. You can fairly easy get them to close to 200hp reliably. I'd much rather have a VW ALH/1Z/BEW than that R2.8 anyday.

The one thing I've found with a TDI in a big, heavy vehicle is that it tends to run hotter EGT's when tuned than it would in a Jetta or Golf. Because of that I don't think pushing the power much beyond what it is already would be great for longevity in this application, but more power isn't really necessary either. If I were to do it all over I would go for the 2.0L BHW engine from the 2004-2005 Passat TDI, stock power was 134/247 and with a Stage 2 tune that becomes 174/305. From what I've seen of BHW-swapped Tacomas, 4Runners and Ford Rangers my mileage wouldn't take much of a hit either.

From all my conversations and looking into the various iterations of the 4.2L diesels, the 1HD-FTE will get a little bit better mileage, but I would still choose the 1HD-T to avoid the computer... just one more thing to possibly go wrong. And the tin-foil-hat wearing part of me still wants a vehicle that will start and run after an EMP goes off... lol

The one thing I've found with a TDI in a big, heavy vehicle is that it tends to run hotter EGT's when tuned than it would in a Jetta or Golf. Because of that I don't think pushing the power much beyond what it is already would be great for longevity in this application, but more power isn't really necessary either. If I were to do it all over I would go for the 2.0L BHW engine from the 2004-2005 Passat TDI, stock power was 134/247 and with a Stage 2 tune that becomes 174/305. From what I've seen of BHW-swapped Tacomas, 4Runners and Ford Rangers my mileage wouldn't take much of a hit either.

Just to second your findings. That is what I have found as well. When you turn them up enough to push our bricks(especially loaded with the fam and camping gear), they get hot. Hot EGT's, and if you keep going, hot coolant. I too, if I would stay VW would have gone to a BHW, if fact, I have parts to turn my ALH lower into a BHW lower, if you are interested.

I decided last fall to go 2.8CRD(Heep-vm motori, not Cummins) Just got it running this week and got it tuned as well, hopefully be on the road this weekend for some shake downs. I should get it on a dyno to see how it compares to your pic above.

Just to second your findings. That is what I have found as well. When you turn them up enough to push our bricks(especially loaded with the fam and camping gear), they get hot. Hot EGT's, and if you keep going, hot coolant. I too, if I would stay VW would have gone to a BHW, if fact, I have parts to turn my ALH lower into a BHW lower, if you are interested.

I decided last fall to go 2.8CRD(Heep-vm motori, not Cummins) Just got it running this week and got it tuned as well, hopefully be on the road this weekend for some shake downs. I should get it on a dyno to see how it compares to your pic above.
Looking forward to the update on that!

Hello Charles,

A 1HD-T makes some 164 HP. A 1HD-FTE makes around 200 HP.

Too bad very few Cruisers with the 1HD-FTE were made, mostly for Australia.

Yes, the 1HD-FTE has a computer. On some models it also has an electronic gas pedal. But if the truck is treated properly, they are very reliable.

Pre-2009 Cruisers had two ECUs, one for the engine and one for 4WD (read: lockers.) A very reliable setup in my humble opinion.

If EMP is a concern, you can always wrap the ECU casing with copper sheet, or tin foil (not aluminum.) But that is another story.

Juan

Last edited:

View attachment 3009196

What elevation was this? 5000ft or so?

That LS guy must be deflated. Elevation with an N/A is a buzz kill. I remember dynoing my stock LS 240sx way back in the day in Utah. It wasn't great.

Finding a stock FT or FTE is going to be tricky. The FT is even less common than the already rare-ish FTE and many FTEs in the US are running larger salad shooters.

What elevation was this? 5000ft or so?

That LS guy must be deflated. Elevation with an N/A is a buzz kill. I remember dynoing my stock LS 240sx way back in the day in Utah. It wasn't great.

Finding a stock FT or FTE is going to be tricky. The FT is even less common than the already rare-ish FTE and many FTEs in the US are running larger salad shooters.
Elevation was 4700ft, ambient atmospheric pressure was 85.67kPa at the time. Forced induction engines really shine at elevation.

Apparently the LS was a junkyard motor with absolutely nothing done to it. There was a guy with a 6.2 LS powered 60-series there, but he showed up after the dyno-ing was done. I would be very curious to see how that setup compared.

I was surprised that the 1HD-T was completely stock. My brother's HDJ81 has an aftermarket aneroid pin, 16psi boost, intercooler and the fuel has been turned up. I would love to see it run on a dyno for comparison.

View attachment 3009196
This is a cool pic. And I chuckled at the 1F.

View attachment 3009196
I would have liked to have seen a 2f and a 1kzte on there too but this is awesome! I am somewhat suprised by these numbers I thought the 1fz would have done better.

From all my conversations and looking into the various iterations of the 4.2L diesels, the 1HD-FTE will get a little bit better mileage, but I would still choose the 1HD-T to avoid the computer... just one more thing to possibly go wrong. And the tin-foil-hat wearing part of me still wants a vehicle that will start and run after an EMP goes off... lol
Glad I’m not the only guy out there that considers the EMP eventuality… keeps me from trying to go Sniper. 🤣

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom