Amateur Radio Digital Mode (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, I have an FTM Yaesu with digi mode (ftm-3200 when they first cam out). I FINALLY was able to try out the digi mode and noticd a slight difference (less static). I was unable to do a lot of comparisons with the other station due to them not knowing how to change settings, etc, d'oh. What has been your experience?

I have had direct experience with D-Star on an Icom. It is not a weak signal mode, you need a decently strong signal to make it work. The different digital forms don't work with each other. Yaesu's System Fusion will need others using the same, great if you have others you can communicate with. I have decided I don't want to participate with modes that require infrastructure to function. Your radio should be able to do Fusion and regular FM but not at the same time. Audio is much different as the digital communications audio bandwidth with is much reduced.

Larry in El Paso

I realize the digi modes are proprietary, and that Kenwood has thrown in with Icom's DSTAR mode.. Yaesu will sense an analog v digi signal and respond accordingly if set up for it. I have some more experiementing to do at teh margins of comm...I bought a friend an old standby Yaesu 2980 recently for 150 bucks, including shipping.

Hi, I have an FTM Yaesu with digi mode (ftm-3200 when they first cam out). I FINALLY was able to try out the digi mode and noticd a slight difference (less static). I was unable to do a lot of comparisons with the other station due to them not knowing how to change settings, etc, d'oh. What has been your experience?
Take a look online and see it you have any Fusion repeaters in your area. We have several in my area which is nice.

My favorite AFSK/FSK mode is RTTY. It's fast and fun during contests. Followed by FT8, JT65, PSK, SSTV then others. I do often get annoyed by PSK with the ultra-long brag files but I still enjoy it.

Or alternately add a shark rf openspot 3 hotspot to your radio and phone and cross to all in many different digital platforms

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom