All.electric vehicles (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So GM wants to go all electric by 2035-2040. My question/concern is this.

1. When I go on vacation it's usually a gas tank away. So when time to refuel how long we talking? At the moment you can't just roll up to a gas station and recharge.

2. I understand that charging stations will have to be built but after that how long to recharge a vehicle? Usually I can be in and out of a gas station in 5 mins. I don't see how you are going to completely recharge in that amount of time.

I understand that technology will be different by then but I just don't see this working out in our favor. Current administration wants to do away with fossil fuel power plants as well. Guessing our electric bill will also skyrocket.

All hat and no cow.

Infrastructure will make the California bullet train project look like a good idea. Can you imagine all the charging stations that would have to be built, the extra transmission lines, etc.

Californian here and our state can't even keep the lights on. We had rolling blackouts all last year because our infrastructure can't keep up with demand. An interesting phenomenon occurred where we had an extended heat wave where hot stagnant air persisted, and prompted the use of A.C at night.Problem is there was no sunlight and no wind ,add to that the state plans on banning fossil fuels and is vehemently against nuclear power means no power. How they plan on powering more charging stations and adding more demand to the grid with our already high taxes ,and adding more with tons of homeless on the streets because of the high cost of living and drug epidemic is beyond me.:meh:

Last edited:

1. When I go on vacation it's usually a gas tank away. So when time to refuel how long we talking? At the moment you can't just roll up to a gas station and recharge.

2. I understand that charging stations will have to be built but after that how long to recharge a vehicle? Usually I can be in and out of a gas station in 5 mins. I don't see how you are going to completely recharge in that amount of time.

I understand that technology will be different by then but I just don't see this working out in our favor. Current administration wants to do away with fossil fuel power plants as well. Guessing our electric bill will also skyrocket.
seems that you could get about 75 miles worth of distance in 5 minutes of charging time with the V3 supercharger?

I think they’re trying to install charging stations near other places you might take a break anyway; restaurants, bathrooms, shopping near major roads.

BMW is building a battery plant this year I believe. Its coming I just hope the tech makes major improvements before implementation.

BMW is building a battery plant this year I believe. Its coming I just hope the tech makes major improvements before implementation.
Every aspect of it will. Better energy storage, faster charging, more infrastructure, aspects that we don't anticipate with the current state of things. Unfortunately I think it will also come in response to heavy handed regulations mixed with some big money corruption and manipulation (no different than the petrol industry but a "greener" playing field). Enjoy the 60 while you can

Every aspect of it will. Better energy storage, faster charging, more infrastructure, aspects that we don't anticipate with the current state of things. Unfortunately I think it will also come in response to heavy handed regulations mixed with some big money corruption and manipulation (no different than the petrol industry but a "greener" playing field). Enjoy the 60 while you can
You can have all the infrastructure in the world but whats the source of energy? Solar and wind are used in california and they proved useless when they were needed most.California leads the rest of the country in green energy ,and taxes it's citizens up to their eyeballs ,yet they still can't cope with an increase in demand because at the end of the day electricity still needs oil to be viable it's pointless.

Last edited:
I got to tour a local propane companies facility 3 or 4 years ago, where they provide propane for vehicles. They had two huge generators onsite behind their pumping area to power multiple stage pumps to achieve the needed pressure. The question was asked how much propane is used to power the pumps vs how much usable product is at the nozzle. It wasn't a popular question.
I think a lot of hybrid vehicles make sense, the Prius for example. Maybe I am just not understanding but once you get away from a larger population area how do they justify the cost? Can you imagine all the electric stations on the road into Myrtle Beach?
I am not against all of it, I just do not understand the feasibility of getting there vs the cost at this time.

We were all supposed to have flying cars by 40 years ago as well. All the push for electric cars seems to stem from the desire to be "green". Yet it seems most of the entities pushing this "green" life style conceal the hard facts of how truly dirty the production of the electric itself, the batteries and even the production of the machines that produce the electricity. That is a whole lot to overcome in 15-20 years and then get all the infrastructure in place to put it to use by the majority of people in the country.

Second cup of coffee, new tin foil.

Proterra- got to be in the plant a few times. Amazing busses I will give them tons of credit there, super complex, looked like a million miles of wire in every bus. Essentially, no heat as in the models that go up North still have a small diesel just for heat. I have seen them in Clemson and other areas, the thing that stood out though was they weren't jammed full of people (before covid).

The amount of riders can't offset the costs of the "feel good", hell for that matter I have never seen a regular bus near capacity.

Can you imagine all the electric stations on the road into Myrtle Beach?
I am not against all of it, I just do not understand the feasibility of getting there vs the cost at this time.
Much less about Myrtle Beach than Martha's Vinyard. Urban centers will transform by madate to the chorus of the church of the green cloth and the creep will follow its way down to smaller dots on the map. Towns will live or die by how they adapt like how railroads and interstates impacted areas in the past.

You can have all the infrastructure in the world but whats the source of energy? Solar and wind are used in california and they proved useless when they were needed most.California leads the rest of the country in green energy ,and taxes it's citizens up to their eyeballs ,yet they still can't cope with an increase in demand because at the end of the day electricity still needs oil to be viable it's pointless.

No doubt, but the push still seems to continue in both elections and the following laws. The tech will get better but doesn't exist for the demand now, and those solar panel roof mandates may be stalling improvements. "Why make something better when we are selling everything we can make now?" I'm guessing it will follow a similar path to water usage too. Hetch Hetchy and the Colorado River are left out of environmental virtue discussions while neighbors call the police on each other if they run their lawn sprinkler on an unauthorized day. Just take the subsidy to replace turf with gravel already.

Californian here and our state can't even keep the lights on. We had rolling blackouts all last year because our infrastructure can't keep up with demand. An interesting phenomenon occurred where we had an extended heat wave where hot stagnant air persisted, and prompted the use of A.C at night.Problem is there was no sunlight and no wind ,add to that the state plans on banning fossil fuels and is vehemently against nuclear power means no power. How they plan on powering more charging stations and adding more demand to the grid with our already high taxes ,and adding more with tons of homeless on the streets because of the high cost of living and drug epidemic is beyond me.:meh:

This is the question. My brother is an operator for a large hydro dam. He says all you have to do is get to about 10% electric cars and the grid will be crushed. The environmentalist hate every form of electricity except wind and solar and both of those are still not able to make a small dent in supply. The reality is fossil fuels are here to stay and at ULEV 2 on cars the tailpipe emissions are about as clean as the air going in the engine. This is still not good enough for the hardcore leftist . The goals appear to be a return to the dark ages. That said I was out in west Texas 2 years ago visiting a friend and doing some wandering. I saw a few Tesla chargers on main roads at gas stations(mainly truck stops) When I am driving down secondary roads there are none to be found. It will be years before that is viable.

My reference to Myrtle Beach was all about the volume of exchange on any given weekend. All of the people coming off the interstate and all of the people preparing to get on, the amount of "electric QTs" would be quite the drain on the grid. People forget you don't just flick a switch for more power at the power plant. Maybe giant capacitor plants are the solution.

I have always taught my children to follow the money and you are correct Martha's Vineyard and a few other places dictate what me "must" do.

Our "virtue shows" and our "need to feel good" goals are generally like the old adage about sausage, nobody wants to see the pigs get delivered and the transformation to our plate.

There are two ways of charging currently. One company is coming out with a drop and swap battery solution you drive up to a station and the battery pack gets swapped out from under the vehicle. Kinda like swapping the remote batteries in your TV remote lol. The other is fast-charging stations built along major highway paths like Tesla. There have been people that have driven across the US on just battery it takes longer as expected but kinda cool. I would also see solar panels on all the roofs and even hoods of vehicles so they stay topped off. Nothing will take the place of the feeling of driving a gas or diesel rig.

This is the question. My brother is an operator for a large hydro dam. He says all you have to do is get to about 10% electric cars and the grid will be crushed. The environmentalist hate every form of electricity except wind and solar and both of those are still not able to make a small dent in supply. The reality is fossil fuels are here to stay and at ULEV 2 on cars the tailpipe emissions are about as clean as the air going in the engine. This is still not good enough for the hardcore leftist . The goals appear to be a return to the dark ages. That said I was out in west Texas 2 years ago visiting a friend and doing some wandering. I saw a few Tesla chargers on main roads at gas stations(mainly truck stops) When I am driving down secondary roads there are none to be found. It will be years before that is viable.
In my mind, this is the biggest issue. Power is not infinite as California sees. Ask any diesel generator rental salesman around August last year. They couldn't fill the orders they were getting. With the push to get rid of coal and coal plants, our grid will not be able to handle the power requirements. The only way would be to start building multiple nuclear plants in the next year or two. With the history of the construction of the 4 reactors in SC and GA, and the current administration, I seriously doubt that'll happen.

Of course, you can always charge batteries using PFM. (Pure F-ing Magic)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom