Alaskan camper military trailer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A clean shot of the inside and a little Moab scenery
IMG_20180422_191107.jpg
IMG_20180425_171225.jpg

How does it tow? I am currently travelling in Canada with a 06 dodge 2500 (5.9l diesel, 6sp, full cab/8ft bed) with an 8ft Cabover Alaskan camper on it and it's a bit large for me. Have 10ft NCO sitting at home. Want to put it on m116 trailed like yours. have a 100 and an 80 TLC to tow it. 4x4/offroad performance? how light is it? (im guessing aroung 3k lbs wet?) thanks!

I tow it with my '14 Dodge 1500 and don't even notice it. I also have a 100 and an 80. I wouldn't dare tow it with the 80 here in Colorado with the steep grades-the 80 is slow enough and a gas guzzler without adding 2500+ lbs. I have towed it a few times with the 100 and it struggled on the hills , but can/will tow it without much trouble. I weighed it after I gutted it to meet the 1600# cut-off for a homemade trailer here in Colorado and it weighed 1530 lbs. I would guess that it is close to 2500 lbs with a tongue weight of under 300lbs. I have taken it on a few easy trails and it did just fine since it has its own shocks. Once you get over the metal slapping noise the pintle/lunette ring makes, its quite fun and capable.

I’m digging how you set this up. Any updates by chance. I might need to “borrow” some of your design ideas for my Zombie Apocalypse Trailer (ZAT!).

What are the dimension of the Alaskan Camper?

I don't have much to update really. I used it about ten times last year and found that I really need to leave the house with a full battery to run the fridge all weekend, but other than that it performed flawlessly. If given the chance to do it again, I would've gone with the 4" foam for the bed/seats instead of 3"- we are currently looking to put a memory foam topper on the cushions to help out with sleeping more comfortably. The camper itself is 8 foot long and my buddy that is 6'3" can stand comfortably inside when raised. I haven't measured the width, but I am 5'8" and have a few inches to spare when laying down.

It's been amazing to me what a 100W solar panel can do. I went to a lot of trouble and expense to connect our camper batteries to the truck's alternator before adding solar. With the solar in place it is rare that alternator has much to do. Our new to us camper came with 140W of solar and the same batteries, so now the alternator will have even less to do. Now when asked on the camper forum I say "solar first."

Nice work. How does that baby handle? It looks rather top heavy.
The top raises and lowers with a hydraulic jack in side the camper. Transport height is about 6'.5"

Did you have it for sale for a while last year?

PMd

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom