8x Series V8 Swaps (18 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Huh ... that was one of my complaints with the 1FZ - the center console got so hot. Was hoping this would be better in that respect.
Well with the cruiser engines the exhaust pipe is routed out the wheel well area. Post swap the pipeS are in the tunnel area. And possibly two cats.

So... here's where I ask the tough question.

Does anyone have any regrets? I'm not talking regretting the swap, but is there anything you wish you'd done differently? Anything you would have added? @White Stripe mentioned wishing they'd added some heat shielding to the outeside of the firewall/tunnel I believe. Anything else?
How many have added a oil cooler? Should I use both the in radiator cooler and additional cooler for the Transmission(mine came this way from the dealer) or should I use one of those for engine oil? Do I need a Power Steering cooler?
I added a trans cooler since I saw temps in excess of 240 in Death Valley a couple of years ago. Just to be clear, that was the fluid coming from the trans going to the cooler; I have a temp sensor just before the fluid enters the cooler so clearly the worst case scenario.

Since I converted to Hydroboost, I also added a power steering cooler in front of the original trans cooler.

I also run a Steel Nutz radiator with two 13” SPAL fans so clearly I like to keep things 😎

So far so good but to be honest I haven’t been in any blazing conditions since these two mods so who really knows...

Just went through this thread and glad for the motivation/information I got from it, my swap has been sitting idle as I had other projects but I am back at it, next step is to modify transmission crossmemeber to move passenger side head away from fire wall and then fab frame mounts to accept factory GM block mounts... will update as I progress...

E8537E31-5904-416D-80CE-96166CFA33C2.jpeg

4ADF2EFC-6E2A-4559-92B6-8652A05BBEC5.jpeg

E3C198B0-A96B-4EE2-BCAD-F1271AF89E09.jpeg

51372862-F5AA-44A3-8643-50254863EC44.jpeg

Pretty much have everything buttoned up on the L92/6L80E swap. Finished up the wiring and last few miscelaneous issues. The truck heads off to the exhaust shop this week for mandrel bent stainless system. Had to add a little hybrid swap twist to the "Voretc" engine cover. :hillbilly:
IMG_20210425_103913948.jpg

So what kind of mileage are you guys getting? I think I have the MAF curve dialed in pretty well, but haven't done much with the rest of the tune other then setting tire size (33"), etc. I'm getting about 11.5 mpg around town - I did better then that with the 1FZFE! Does a bit better on the highway - 16.7 mpg on a 60 mile run the other day.

I’ve never gotten better than mid 16s. Ive seen guys that claim low 20s... I just don’t see how.

I always get 15 with city driving. And I get on it a a lot. I don’t know how much the truck weighs, but front and rear bumpers full spare, sliders, etc

I'd be ok with 15 around town. 11 is terrible, and it doesn't seem to matter whether I baby it or get on it. Part of the reason I did this swap was to hopefully get better range.

I'd be ok with 15 around town. 11 is terrible, and it doesn't seem to matter whether I baby it or get on it. Part of the reason I did this swap was to hopefully get better range.
Yeah I’d say something is up. I have a really heavy foot and stay around 15. I’ve never seen lower than mid 13s

From what I've read a part of fuel mileage is dependant on the tune. I believe westerners has a fuel efficient tune they offer.

What's westerners?

What's westerners?
I thought it was the name of a ecu flashing shop but I guess I've remembered the name wrong. Here is a interesting thread on fuel mileage...

Last edited:
Hi all

Does anyone have any experiences/views/thoughts/ramblings about Holley Terminator X Max? I'm considering it in my planning for a swap. I'm totally capable of using an OE LS harness but the appeal of not needing to send away the ECM and/or buy HP tuners and is pretty high - plus an all new harness and trans control. ooooh and a shiney LCD for the cab!

The more I research, the more it seems like this is the best option for me, especially considering the cost of having everything tuned.

Has anyone done one of these with an 80 swap yet? Holley says you can't modify the harness due to grounding/shielding, and I want to make sure the provisions are there to get the gauges and everything else working properly.

The more I research, the more it seems like this is the best option for me, especially considering the cost of having everything tuned.

Has anyone done one of these with an 80 swap yet? Holley says you can't modify the harness due to grounding/shielding, and I want to make sure the provisions are there to get the gauges and everything else working properly.
You wouldn't need to modify the harness to get the gauges working. The wires for that, and other interfaces, (ex.shifter position lights) are totally separate from the harness used on the engine. That said, the Holly harnesses are universal so they don't lay out very cleanly IMO, and I've modified them for that reason. They are no different than any other harness.

You wouldn't need to modify the harness to get the gauges working. The wires for that, and other interfaces, (ex.shifter position lights) are totally separate from the harness used on the engine. That said, the Holly harnesses are universal so they don't lay out very cleanly IMO, and I've modified them for that reason. They are no different than any other harness.

Good to know :)

Since you have some experience with these, would you have any concerns with the reliability of the Holley system versus an OEM PCM? Also wondering if I'd be able to tune for MPG and/or pass emissions, since they're geared more toward enthusiasts.

I have one on order. I like the simplicity of the kit to get this up and running. Waiting for Holley to ship it out any day now, it’s been on back order or they make it when ordered.. Plan down the line is to also run aftermarket gauges as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom