Hilux '84 turbo truck on portals (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great build!
FYI, second gen Tacoma 2wd's have 3.58 rears with the auto and the manual's have 3.31's if they will fit your application.

Now knowing that the H1 portal doesnt have an idler I would think in their native vehicle the driveshaft(s) would have spun the appropriate direction. Or the ring and pinion was manufactured on the appropriate side of the carrier to have a desired direction. Or the diff casting/machining was designed to flood the pinion and retain oil appropriately in the direction of normal rotation(in this case normal is backwards). And the drivetrain was designed to use the diff being driven on the drive side of the gear set for the majority of normal operation.

But if hummer figured hey we'll just take some normal diffs and flip them then thats gotta count for something. KISS I guess.

I dont know anything about hummers... except for anything beyond the H1 is silly, the H1 had portals, the H1 was used in the military, and the H1 is pretty sweet. So I'm just theorizing here. No actual idea of operations, lol

The H1/hmmwv actually just uses AMC20 differentials that are flipped to run backwards.
The are independent suspension, so there are no axle tubes. Just stubs for cv axles and brake rotors.

Also, the whole deal about driving on the coast/drive side isn't really a big deal. In your toyota, the front diff drives on the coast side when going forward.
Don't forget the fact 2:1 reduction at the hub which effectively cuts the diff/axle/driveline loads in half.

Great build!
FYI, second gen Tacoma 2wd's have 3.58 rears with the auto and the manual's have 3.31's if they will fit your application.

I need to do some digging into this. I believe I've heard where the x-runner Tacoma came with 3.15 gears.
But I'm also thinking that 2nd gen Tacoma used the 8.4 diff??
I don't know enough about them at the moment. But 3.15 or even 3.31 would be great.

Well the more I know. Post pics of the 3rd mods when you get there... interested to see what you come up with.

In my Toyota, the front diff drives on the driveside cuz its not stock ;)

Non E-locker Taco's/same gen 4runner have a 8.4". Not sure about if thats also true for 1st gen.

This has been a bit of a challenge to say the least. Lol
I was hopeful that my 17" steel wheels would work with the wheel brake setup. Unfortunately, they would not without a 1" wheel spacer.

The area where the two wheel pieces are welded together is just too small.
Only option is to use a wheel spacer, or design a smaller brake setup. Not a fan of either option at this point.

20210917_130603.jpg

20210917_130456.jpg

20210917_130759.jpg

20210917_130410.jpg

So I started searching for other wheel options. It's difficult to find wheels that actually have a positive offset. Seems that most people want their wheels to stick way out... I need the opposite.

I sent AEV some measurements to see if the Salta HD wheels would fit, and they said it would probably interfere but would be pretty close. I took the chance and got some on order.

They DO rub the calipers, but a little work with a flap wheel can fix it. I'll just re-coat the calipers. Easy enough. And these wheels have a good amount of positive offset, plus are a little wider to better fit the 12.50 tires.

Now to modify the rest of the calipers. AND now that I know my offset, I can cut the axle tubes and proceed with the rest of the build.

20211007_165647.jpg

20211007_165657.jpg

20211007_165201.jpg

Whats the width on that set up vs 1" wheel spaced steelies?

The steel wheels pictured came off of a 2500 ram truck. The AEV wheels are also made for the 2500 ram and have the same offset as the steel wheels.
So the steel wheels with spacers would stick out 1" further on each side than the AEV wheels.

Now this will still leave me with a slightly positive scrub radius of ~2.25". I was really wanting to shoot for 0, but i've not found any options that have that much offset and will still clear the wheel brakes. Other than MAYBE the H1 Alpha OEM Hutchinson wheels (17s), but I'm not for sure. And the best price I've found for a used set is like $6k, so I don't think I want to take the chance on those.

G10.png

Probably a stupid question but what do you do on the rear axle? I assume no portals? Never seen anything like this. Thanks

Probably a stupid question but what do you do on the rear axle? I assume no portals? Never seen anything like this. Thanks

Rear axle gets portals as well

18's? Might give you some more clearance in the caliper department

Probably would, but I can't think of any 18s with more offset than these. And 17s are already a bit large for my taste. Really don't want to go with a larger wheel. I think it would look funny in proportion to the truck

The steel wheels pictured came off of a 2500 ram truck. The AEV wheels are also made for the 2500 ram and have the same offset as the steel wheels.
So the steel wheels with spacers would stick out 1" further on each side than the AEV wheels.

Now this will still leave me with a slightly positive scrub radius of ~2.25". I was really wanting to shoot for 0, but i've not found any options that have that much offset and will still clear the wheel brakes. Other than MAYBE the H1 Alpha OEM Hutchinson wheels (17s), but I'm not for sure. And the best price I've found for a used set is like $6k, so I don't think I want to take the chance on those.

View attachment 2811244

It's a tough balance with a wheeler, as zero scrub is rare to achieve.

Have you looked into custom wheels? Stazworks and TrailWorthyFab make custom steel beadlocks that are very well regarded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom