8274 Rebuild concern (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I picked up this winch the other day and decided to respool the wire, turns out it was damaged so I decided to tear into it to check the insides. I can't seem to seperate the brake assembly from the brake gear. Any experienced rebuilders that have done a 8274?

IMG_3074.JPG

IMG_3075.JPG

IMG_3077.JPG

IMG_3078.JPG

Let it soak a bit with that penetrator and perhaps try some heat on the outside of the brake surface to try and expand it a bit?

A puller worked for me, but a caution, the ball bearings inside there will run away like cockroaches in the bathroom light!!! Be prepared to keep them in check or lose them and start over! A dab of grease on each upon re-assembly keeps them lined up and place...I leaned this the hard way on mine:bang:. Good luck;)

When mine was rebuilt at Six States, the guy there (trained by Warn) said not to lube those bearings. leave them dry.
and only add a dixie cup of oil to the spur gears.

When mine was rebuilt at Six States, the guy there (trained by Warn) said not to lube those bearings. leave them dry.
and only add a dixie cup of oil to the spur gears.
Wow! I have no idea how you would keep them in place without a dab of grease...I sure couldn't. The winch has worked well for a dozen or so years since i repaired it, so all I can say is it worked for me...YMMV I guess??

He must have laid it on its side to keep them in place.. cant remember it was 18 or so years ago...

I suppose you're already past this now but fo the next guy who reads this. Remove the brake assembly with the gear shaft from the main body and put it upright in a vice. Soak it good with PB Blaster (or similar) then us a brass hammer to gently tap downward on the shaft. I tried a puller but it was too scary; afraid I'd brake something.

I ended up using a large puller and an extension on my wratchet- when it let loose it went all over. It was seriously rusted. Got all the internals and externals rebuilt, painted and now I'm looking for a bumper.

IMG_3134.JPG

IMG_3077 2.JPG

IMG_3076.JPG

IMG_3074 2.JPG

IMG_3456.JPG

Nice Job Riversurfer! :clap:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom