80 Series Windshield install review (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

wagonteeth

Hippoverde
Threads
The windshield in my 80 had a crack near dead center, was pretty heavily scratched up, the windshield shook/shifted offroad, and it leaked into the PS floor from the bottom corner.

I started calling around for prices on an install, skipping Safelite on purpose. I decided to go with a shop in town (Gainesville) called Expert Auto Glass. I called and talked to the phone lady and asked if I could supply an OEM gasket, and she responded positively. The installer (her husband) has done the work for 30 years, so I had her order a windshield (not OEM, PGW is the MFGer).

I had an appointment for 3pm the next day, so took a couple hours off work to be there to review the FSM install directions with the installer (Roger). So I showed up a little early and Roger came out and looked at the gasket, the old windshield, we discussed the leaks I was seeing, and he did some poking and found that the previous non-OEM glass was not even sealed in the gasket, just some sealant of the gasket to the windshield frame. So he told me I'd need to remove the snorkel so he could seal that side. I told him that wasn't gonna happen as it's bolted in place.

I pulled the wagon into the bay and started looking at the fender. I told him I'd unbolt it as much as it needed to be to pull the snorkel away from the pillar so he could get the caulk gun in to seal the side. I ended up pulling the fender off, which was worthwhile as I cleaned up some dirt, checked for rust and tightened up some snorkel bolts. He let me stay in the shop area and I actually helped him with some of the prop work, scraping off old sealant, while he prepped the new glass and gasket for install. I had told him I wanted to inspect the window channel before installing for any rust, so I got a good look at it and all was well. He followed the FSM instructions, and in my view, went the extra mile to seal the window and gasket. HE taped off the paint around the seal and caulked it all around- the glass to the seal, and the seal to the window frame.

It's been a week now, with no leaks, no squeaks.

I'll be taking my 3rd gen 4Runner to him soon.

I just wanted to pass it along in case someone needs the job done. He does do mobile installed, but if you have a snorkel, it'll need to be pulled or at least pulled out 3-4" to get the side done. It's only about 24,000 bolts to get it off, so worth the wrenching.

Reckon what his rate is to travel. I have a new gasket for my 80, but have not been able to find any recommendations up this way.

The windshield in my 80 had a crack near dead center, was pretty heavily scratched up, the windshield shook/shifted offroad, and it leaked into the PS floor from the bottom corner.

I started calling around for prices on an install, skipping Safelite on purpose. I decided to go with a shop in town (Gainesville) called Expert Auto Glass. I called and talked to the phone lady and asked if I could supply an OEM gasket, and she responded positively. The installer (her husband) has done the work for 30 years, so I had her order a windshield (not OEM, PGW is the MFGer).

I had an appointment for 3pm the next day, so took a couple hours off work to be there to review the FSM install directions with the installer (Roger). So I showed up a little early and Roger came out and looked at the gasket, the old windshield, we discussed the leaks I was seeing, and he did some poking and found that the previous non-OEM glass was not even sealed in the gasket, just some sealant of the gasket to the windshield frame. So he told me I'd need to remove the snorkel so he could seal that side. I told him that wasn't gonna happen as it's bolted in place.

I pulled the wagon into the bay and started looking at the fender. I told him I'd unbolt it as much as it needed to be to pull the snorkel away from the pillar so he could get the caulk gun in to seal the side. I ended up pulling the fender off, which was worthwhile as I cleaned up some dirt, checked for rust and tightened up some snorkel bolts. He let me stay in the shop area and I actually helped him with some of the prop work, scraping off old sealant, while he prepped the new glass and gasket for install. I had told him I wanted to inspect the window channel before installing for any rust, so I got a good look at it and all was well. He followed the FSM instructions, and in my view, went the extra mile to seal the window and gasket. HE taped off the paint around the seal and caulked it all around- the glass to the seal, and the seal to the window frame.

It's been a week now, with no leaks, no squeaks.

I'll be taking my 3rd gen 4Runner to him soon.

I just wanted to pass it along in case someone needs the job done. He does do mobile installed, but if you have a snorkel, it'll need to be pulled or at least pulled out 3-4" to get the side done. It's only about 24,000 bolts to get it off, so worth the wrenching.
That is good to know, I would love to replace my 20 yr old windshield

Here's the webpage, although it looks generic. The number is there to call. When I called them for an appointment, Roger was out of town, around Bethlehem, GA, 30 miles or so south.

Website

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom