74 PA PIG (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

We can only assume it's a factory weld? Is this common? Are we correct?
I believe you are correct I've had at least a dozen fenders here from different years and they all have had a weld there.

I believe you are correct I've had at least a dozen fenders here from different years and they all have had a weld there.
Thanks @ J MACK. Confirms our thinking.

Fenders are ready for primer. When I think about it, the hood may be the only part the 55 that doesn't need body work! Of course it's never that easy. Prepping the underside of the hood took quite a few hours to strip down to bare metal. Not sure what was on it? 45 years of grime. Maybe that's why it wasn't rusted.

IMG_3976.jpg

IMG_3991.jpg

Up until this time I was most impressed with the rear wheel well restoration but you'll see from the fender repairs that they rank right up there with the transformation.

From the beginning of the project I have been in search for replacement parts and could not locate any worthy fenders. Mine were both in pretty bad condition. I didn't know if they we're repairable?

We were able to take a sheet of metal and cut, bend & fit new fender tops.

View attachment 2288001

View attachment 2287973

View attachment 2287975

View attachment 2287976

View attachment 2287977

Holy cow, you are getting stuff done!
I feel like an amateur...

Holy cow, you are getting stuff done!
I feel like an amateur...
Not taking any credit for the skill. My job is procurement of parts & supplies, finance and labor. May see the light at the end of the tunnel for completion? Hopefully July. Power of positive thinking.

Time to work on the worn hinges. If all else fails, looks like SOR is selling refurbished hinges. Not much makes me flinch but they sure are pricey! Did a thread search and decided to go with the NAPA hinge replacement kits. Thanks to all who have posted the procedure. Was successful, no need for SOR. Cleaned up all hardware, prep for install.

IMG_4134.jpg

IMG_4076.jpg

IMG_4118.jpg

Boy does time fly! It's been awhile since my last post. Don't worry, work on the pig has continued. Previous posts brought us into real time for May 2020. So I have some catching up to do. Mostly pictures, I know everyone likes pictures.

I had to laugh reading my previous post when I was wishing for a July completion. What was I thinking? I must have meant July 2021.

Can't find the time to post in the summer. Stays light too late and if I'm working outside until dark I'm too tired to do anything else. Only advantage to COVID is staying home and getting a lot of projects done. Painted the house and garage, built a bridge over a stream I have on the property, built a fence and renovated some structures that needed some TLC. Did I mention my daughter wants to get married an the property? Keeps a man busy.

At this point bodywork on the body, doors, tailgate, hood and lower fenders is complete. With the rehabbed hinges we wanted to hang the doors before going any further. Held our breathe and were very pleased that everything fit. Certainly need some adjustments and tweaking but they fit!

240.jpg

239.jpg

Sheezuz!! This thread boggles my mind! I’d forgotten about all the work you’ve done on this! You gotta make with the updates more frequently! The alternative fender-lip fab job has become somewhat of a legend, being mentioned several times in various threads.

74 PA Pig - *mental note* the legendary thread where the guy replaced his rear fender lips with ones from a utility bed (among other things)!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom