4-Wheel Drive does not engage. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am getting discouraged. It seems like one thing after another. I do not want to give up on my cruiser but it is getting the better of me.

We just recieved 4-5" of snow so I take the Cruiser(FJ-62) out to play and my 4-Wheel Drive does not engage ??? The hubs are locked and the button is pushed in but teh light does not go on and the front tires do not get driven. I last used the 4-Wheel the last week in november, after my last deer accident. Nothing else has been done to it except a new alternator. I think it has something to do with the cold weather but logic tells me differently. Is the extreme cold just another case of weird Cruiser coincidence?

Please help or I will be force to get rid of my beloved cruiser. :'(

Your 4WD solenoid has probably gone south (to warmer weather, no doubt). For a quick fix just swap the two vacuum lines exiting the solenoids, the ones going to the diaphram - they're on the firewall about centerline (one solenoid's blue the other brown). This will confirm that the solenoid is shot. OEM replacement is expensive - about $300 from SOR but others have used industrial solenoid valves and misc fittings for a cheaper fix. Make sure that the fuse is OK and check the circuit for power. There's another post from the last week or so that has a schematic in it. Good luck - keep warm, and don't give up.

Ming

Thanks Ming. My haynes book does not cover this well. Am I correct that each solenoid sucks the same diaphram in a different direction, and only for about 30 seconds to get the rod to move? If this is correct I am sure I can figure it out. I do not want to give up but it sucks always lieing on my back in the drive way when it is below freezing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom