3rd Gen 4Runner rear axle seal failure: looking for a good local machine shop (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cbmontgo

SILVER Star
Threads
As some know, the rear axle seal is a common failure point on 3rd Gen 4Runners. I’ve pulled both axle shafts and need to take them to a machine shop with a press. They’ll need to remove and replace the bearings, retainers, and ABS gear rings that require special tools that I don’t have.

Any local COS recommended shops?

As some know, the rear axle seal is a common failure point on 3rd Gen 4Runners. I’ve pulled both axle shafts and need to take them to a machine shop with a press. They’ll need to remove and replace the bearings, retainers, and ABS gear rings that require special tools that I don’t have.

Any local COS recommended shops?

You dont need to do any of that to replace the axle seal or the o-ring to stop that leak.

You dont need to do any of that to replace the axle seal or the o-ring to stop that leak.
Well, some gear oil has seeped past the inner axle seal, through the wheel bearings (presumably washing out bearing grease), and onto my brake shoes, plus the bearings on both sides have some play. I’ve read that play in the bearings wears out those seals faster and I’ll be having the same issue again soon if I don’t do it. I don’t know. Would be fast and simple just to hit the axle seals and o-ring though. Thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom