3.0? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone have any positive views on the 3.0? I Found what looks like a fairly clean 4runner but it is a 3.0 with a 5 speed.

Only person I know with a 3.0 (john) ditched it for a 3.4 and I can't remember anyone ever saying anything positive about the 3.0 even read it was not much stronger than the 22re.

So is all the bad true or is it exaggerated?

Last edited:
3.0 POS no power fuel mileage SUCKS 15 mpg best ,lead sled that being said if the rest of it is in good shape the if the price is right go for it .

Well, the price is higher than I would like to pay for a 94, they are asking 4k for it. But it is clean from the picture I saw and talking to the guy it sounds like he has pretty much much gone through the whole truck mechanically.

My thing is I had a 97 2wd with the 3.4 automatic and I never found it to be that stout of an engine. If the 3.0 is even less so....

I am thinking I am gonna have a hard time finding a replacement for the 4runner I am gonna be happy with. I was happy with the 22re because I liked the character the engine had. Best I ever got out of it ever was 14mpg. The truck is miss most was my old trooper 2 though.

I had no complaints about my 3.0L, only swapped in the 3.4L for the cool factor I guess.

I think Matt was trying to sell his 88 4Runner.

yup as far as I know Matt still has it need to b finished being put together .

I dont remember Matts 4runner much.. what all does it need put back together?

I have the 3.0 in mine with the 5 SPD. I don't have any complaints, it has a head gasket issue from the factory, of course mine lasted till almost 200k miles. And if you buy the new felpro replacement ones they are redesigned to fix the issue.

As for power its not the best but removing the egr and air pump stuff makes a noticeable difference. Off road it doesn't suffer but on the road you might wish for more power every once in a while.

My mom drove a 95 4-Runner with the 3.0 it was a solid runner not much more power than the 22RE but noticeable torque difference pulling a 15FT boat or 16FT trailer. I was never fond of the 3.0 design but it was reliable and durable plant. Just have to watch what series engine it was because they had a bad head-gasket run that was under a recall for the 3.0's. I knew several folks that fell in that recall including Mom's 95 model and some friends were lucky enough to get new engines out of the deal because they had more miles than the threshold Toyota set. Around 94/95 Toyota was at the end of their 22R and 3.0 era and working on their next series of engines in the 2.7/3.4 I bought the 95 1/2 Taco that had the 3.4 and that was such a huge improvement in power and torque over the 3.0 not to mention a better design and so much easier to work on. With that said if you found a deal on a clean 4-Runner with a 3.0 I wouldn't let that deter you from picking it up like Davin/John said its a solid mill and will give you good service with the proper maintenance. I found myself eyeing a very clean T100 at Walmart yesterday I wanted one real bad in high school but got a 93 model single cab with no AC or power steering instead :( the T100 had the 3.0 in it as well.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom