2nd gen tundra atrac any good? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Gold Boy

🇨🇦 🇺🇸
SILVER Star
Threads
2nd gen tundra atrac any good? Mine seems lackluster.

Last edited:
It's not very active. A lot less aggressive than my 5th gen 4runner in normal mode. Apparently a 3 second hold off the vsc button on 08+ models will engage a more aggressive mode. I haven't tried that in a place where I could really test it out. I don't really off-road mine much and I have a winch as my back up. Mostly because I'm living in Alaska and some places are remote AF. I am curious how well it works in the better mode.

It's not very active. A lot less aggressive than my 5th gen 4runner in normal mode. Apparently a 3 second hold off the vsc button on 08+ models will engage a more aggressive mode. I haven't tried that in a place where I could really test it out. I don't really off-road mine much and I have a winch as my back up. Mostly because I'm living in Alaska and some places are remote AF. I am curious how well it works in the better mode.
Thanks, I didn't know about the vsc button affect on atrac, will give it a try.
I'm Seriously thinking about lockers.

Thanks, I didn't know about the vsc button affect on atrac, will give it a try.
I'm Seriously thinking about lockers.
I didn't know about it until this thread either. I was going to say it kinda sucks compared to my 4Runner Atrac, but then I saw a video and I think I was using it wrong. Now I need to go try it out.

Even the base model 4Runner ATRAC is really good. I had mine double locked, but I think 95% of the time atrac was just as effective.

I didn't know about it until this thread either. I was going to say it kinda sucks compared to my 4Runner Atrac, but then I saw a video and I think I was using it wrong. Now I need to go try it out.

Even the base model 4Runner ATRAC is really good. I had mine double locked, but I think 95% of the time atrac was just as effective.

Interesting... the video was very enlightening, if the tundra's atrac is as good as that, I would not bother with lockers.
More wheeling required... I think.

I may have just spread bad info. I can't seem to find anything that confirms that this is correct. It may just be that the ATRAC on the tundra does kinda suck. That seems to be the consensus I'm finding. What's disappointing is that it's just a software issue. The LC200 and 4Runner ATRAC are really capable. All the Tundra would need is more aggressive engagement. I'm not curious if a traction control module from an LC200 could be swapped or something like that to make it work. You can add MTS which is just an adjustable version of ATRAC to the GX with a plug and play module and some switches. If I could do that for the Tundra it would be great.

The 4Runner really was very close to full locker functionality with the MTS mode in "rock" setting.

I may have just spread bad info. I can't seem to find anything that confirms that this is correct. It may just be that the ATRAC on the tundra does kinda suck. That seems to be the consensus I'm finding. What's disappointing is that it's just a software issue. The LC200 and 4Runner ATRAC are really capable. All the Tundra would need is more aggressive engagement. I'm not curious if a traction control module from an LC200 could be swapped or something like that to make it work. You can add MTS which is just an adjustable version of ATRAC to the GX with a plug and play module and some switches. If I could do that for the Tundra it would be great.

The 4Runner really was very close to full locker functionality with the MTS mode in "rock" setting.
Thanks for the honest update 👍.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom