2H smoke/steam characteristics in cold weather (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Howdy!

I've got a 1987 2H diesel in my HJ60 Cruiser. This isn't my first diesel by a long shot, but I've noticed an interesting characteristic about the warmup cycle. On cold mornings (below freezing), it produces the expected gray smoke for thirty seconds or so. It then clears up briefly, then emits a white smoke. This white smoke takes five or more minutes to disappear, however it goes away pretty much immediately if I bring it up to 1000 RPM using the hand throttle and then stays gone when it returns to idle.

What's the deal with this? I can get the Cruiser started in 10 degrees F with no external heat when much newer Cummins 5.9l diesels simply won't start without a block heater.

I look forward to your replies!

Thanks,
Phil

I think it is quite normal. However you can check the glow plugs and the relays. It is alway best practice to make a preventative maintenance. In my HJ60 i am using a water webasto heater. However really cold stars (-10C or below) are same.
Howdy!

I've got a 1987 2H diesel in my HJ60 Cruiser. This isn't my first diesel by a long shot, but I've noticed an interesting characteristic about the warmup cycle. On cold mornings (below freezing), it produces the expected gray smoke for thirty seconds or so. It then clears up briefly, then emits a white smoke. This white smoke takes five or more minutes to disappear, however it goes away pretty much immediately if I bring it up to 1000 RPM using the hand throttle and then stays gone when it returns to idle.

What's the deal with this? I can get the Cruiser started in 10 degrees F with no external heat when much newer Cummins 5.9l diesels simply won't start without a block heater.

I look forward to your replies!

Thanks,
Phil

how smooth is the startup? if it's starting rough and gouting white smoke, it's possible that it's a single glow plug thats failed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom