2007 GX with air suspension going bad, not mine....where to start? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all, I know I'm sure I can find endless info and options with a search but I'm not even at that point yet. It's not my truck it's my elderly uncles and he asked me at a wedding last night to help him with this, my mother who is his sister volunteered me as some kind of expert because i own an 80 🤣🤦🏻‍♂️

Alright 2007 GX and the suspension is going bad, what questions do I need to ask and information do I need to gather from him in order to determine the specific issue and best course of action? From the little I know this is common and most switch to springs as it's cheaper and more reliable, is that correct? Where do I start on this fellas? Going to be a bit messy because I won't have the truck in front of me but I can get info from his son and looking to hopefully point him to a parts list....

Thank you all, I sincerely appreciate it!

Ok, I’ll take a stab at this…
First, when you say “going bad”, what exactly does that mean? Is the ride deteriorating by getting too soft (or firm)?
Or have one of the rear airbags developed a leak and the truck now has a bad lean and horrible ride?
If your uncle wants factory-level comfort, and $$ isn’t much of a problem, then factory airbags from a Lexus dealer might be his best bet. Spendy, specially if you have them do the install, but perhaps worth it.
Another option would be to scrap the factory airbag system and go with aftermarket shocks and springs…any number of companies have these…I’m assuming, based on his age, that comfort is a priority over ground clearance and “wheeling” ability. If so, I’ve heard that Dobinsons ride softly. I’d suggest getting a factory-height spring (IE no lift) to ease his entrance and exit. And I’d do front and rear at the same time…
Good luck

Ok, I’ll take a stab at this…
First, when you say “going bad”, what exactly does that mean? Is the ride deteriorating by getting too soft (or firm)?
Or have one of the rear airbags developed a leak and the truck now has a bad lean and horrible ride?
If your uncle wants factory-level comfort, and $$ isn’t much of a problem, then factory airbags from a Lexus dealer might be his best bet. Spendy, specially if you have them do the install, but perhaps worth it.
Another option would be to scrap the factory airbag system and go with aftermarket shocks and springs…any number of companies have these…I’m assuming, based on his age, that comfort is a priority over ground clearance and “wheeling” ability. If so, I’ve heard that Dobinsons ride softly. I’d suggest getting a factory-height spring (IE no lift) to ease his entrance and exit. And I’d do front and rear at the same time…
Good luck

Thank you sincerely for the reply, that's pretty much the issue and why I haven't just gone digging with search.....I don't know where to start or what questions to ask to determine the specific issue. What should I be asking about the issue?

But regardless if one airbag goes bad then it's just a matter of time until they all go bad, I really don't think they are concerned too much with having a perfect cushy ride or off roading obviously as this is a family beat up daily driver so replacing all the bags would probably be the best bet. Probably getting ahead of myself again here but is there a kit or something of that nature that would need to be used or is it just something as simple as picking up shocks/springs and taking out the stock bags?

Thank you sincerely for the reply, that's pretty much the issue and why I haven't just gone digging with search.....I don't know where to start or what questions to ask to determine the specific issue. What should I be asking about the issue?

But regardless if one airbag goes bad then it's just a matter of time until they all go bad, I really don't think they are concerned too much with having a perfect cushy ride or off roading obviously as this is a family beat up daily driver so replacing all the bags would probably be the best bet. Probably getting ahead of myself again here but is there a kit or something of that nature that would need to be used or is it just something as simple as picking up shocks/springs and taking out the stock bags?
Only the rear has bags. I’ve heard that a company called Arnott has aftermarket rear airbags for the 470.
The shocks and struts are electronically adjustable…hence an elevated cost to replace them if your going with all-OEM.
Cheapest option? Aftermarket springs and shocks. Might be a tad firmer, but maybe not.
Probably “best ride” option? OEM. Big $$ though.
And yes, it’s as simple as removing rear bags, front coils and all 4 shocks/ struts and replacing.
Plenty of posts on it here on ‘mud.

Only the rear has bags. I’ve heard that a company called Arnott has aftermarket rear airbags for the 470.
The shocks and struts are electronically adjustable…hence an elevated cost to replace them if your going with all-OEM.
Cheapest option? Aftermarket springs and shocks. Might be a tad firmer, but maybe not.
Probably “best ride” option? OEM. Big $$ though.
And yes, it’s as simple as removing rear bags, front coils and all 4 shocks/ struts and replacing.
Plenty of posts on it here on ‘mud.

Again thank you sincerely I appreciate it! So really no need to mess with the front, I should just be looking into rear shocks/springs?

Seems that every thread is about lifts, which makes sense obviously, but not finding much in regards to just replacing stock rear bags with some stock replacement height coils/springs. I know some of them didn't have the bags, should I just be looking for OEM non bag suspension?

My apologies for my ignorance, really just trying to get the ball rolling on this and get my uncles truck back running normal for him. I admittedly know very little about suspension technical things, haven't even dove into that yet on my 80 as it's getting a million other things done first....

Keep in mind that if you remove any of the (4) electronically-adjustable shocks/struts, none of the others will function. IOW, if you remove and replace the rear shocks, the OEM front struts will no longer be adjustable via the switch on the center console.
IDK for sure, but perhaps it’s possible to:
-remove rear airbags and replace with stock-height springs
-retain all 4 stock shocks/struts, thereby keeping the ability to adjust them.

That would seem to be the simplest and cheapest option but I didn’t go this route so I’m not sure it’s a viable option.
Good luck!

Keep in mind that if you remove any of the (4) electronically-adjustable shocks/struts, none of the others will function. IOW, if you remove and replace the rear shocks, the OEM front struts will no longer be adjustable via the switch on the center console.
IDK for sure, but perhaps it’s possible to:
-remove rear airbags and replace with stock-height springs
-retain all 4 stock shocks/struts, thereby keeping the ability to adjust them.

That would seem to be the simplest and cheapest option but I didn’t go this route so I’m not sure it’s a viable option.
Good luck!

Thank you, honestly I don't think they care much if at all about being able to adjust the height they just want the truck running and driving reliably and without issue. So that being the case you're saying they are better off replacing the springs, shocks/struts all around?

personally yes, thats what I’d do…it gives up a tad in plushness, but (in my opinion) makes up for it in cost savings and overall control of the vehicle. A new suspension system, at all 4 corners, will probably make the vehicle feel more stable and “planted”.
Since I’m already on the hook for this advice (😂), I’ll go further and suggest they not get Old Man Emu suspension (reputation for being very stiff), nor any of the expensive, remote-reservoir rebuildable units (King, BP51, etc).
There are some good threads on less-expensive but nice systems. Dobinsons is mid-tiered price wise but I’ve heard it’s fairly cushy. There are others as well…I hope someone else jumps in with their ideas.
GL

I blew a bag on my gx and the ride was bone jarring. Replaced bags and shocks in about three hours. I'm sure a younger man can do it faster. I carefully cut the top of the shocks out with mini grinder cutoff wheel because the nuts were seized and I'd do it that way again. The bottoms are easy. there is a little clip for the airbag that is a little fiddly and you need long angled needle nosed pliers to reach between the frame and the body. The air fittings have disconnect feature by unclipping the retainer clip and turning it 90 degrees and pushing it back in. This will release the line and you can pull it out of the fitting. If you have good floor jacks the job is really not difficult.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom