2 wheel drive drive shaft install... grease or ATF? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Didnt have much luck searching here or on the web. A lot of people commenting but nothing concrete. Had to pull the driveshaft out of my 2004 doublecab to take care of a small leak.

When reinstalling the driveshaft slip yoke onto the transmission tail shaft, should i grease it? Or lube with ATF?

Seems like a slip joint should be greased, but its in the rear of the trans -could the grease migrate into the transmission? That would be bad? Is there a seal inside the transmission seperating the tailcone from the rest of the tranny and the pan? Is ATF sloshing around back there and somehow able to keep the slip joint lubed?

When i pulled it out there was a little atf on everything, but there was also evidence of some kind of sealant or antisieze type grease having been in the splines of the driveshaft slip yoke at one point. I had to clean it out before welding the cap/plug onto the yoke so it can never leak...

Anyway, the haynes manual says "same proceedure for manual or auto trans -apply light grease to splines"

And several people on the interweb mentioned dealers telling them to only use ATF on the splines of the Automatic...

????

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom