1PZ Timing doubts... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,

I was just about ready to put the covers back on the engine having completed the timing belt, timing belt idler, spring, camshaft seal and water pump replacements and noticed that the timing marks between the crankshaft pulley and camshaft pulleys 1 & 2 were off. Both camshaft pulleys 1 & 2 appear to allign correctly with one another but they are almost two teeth ahead of the crankshaft pulley when it is at TDC. Conversely when I allign both camshaft pulleys 1 & 2 at TDC, the crankshaft pulley is almost 1-1/2" behind at its circumference relative to the TDC mark (see pictures below).

PXL_20230622_184516663.jpg

PXL_20230622_184500390.MP.jpg

PXL_20230622_184601358.jpg

While slowly turning the crankshaft I don't feel or hear anything colide inside. Although I feel a good resistance on the pulley and can hear air being forced around as I spin the crankshaft it doesn't feel abnormal.

While changing the timing belt I only removed camshaft pulley #1 while it was at BDC and didn't touch crankshaft or camshaft #2 pulleys so I know I didn't change their relative positions and the engine ran OK before I removed the belt. Unfortunately I didn't notice the mark on the crankshaft pulley at that time.

What gives? Could either the crankshaft pulley or camshaft pulley #2 have been removed at some point and reinstalled with an offset? I'm guessing these pulleys are keyed as well so is this even possible?

If the pulleys are in their correct positions how can the crankshaft and camshaft pulley #2 be off? I'm guessing the timing gears between the injection pump and crankshaft would have to be offset. Can these engines even run with such a timing discrepency?

Any hints much appreciated before I attempt to start the engine...

Thanks,

As a follow-up and perhaps to help other newbies like me, both of my camshaft pulleys had several white paint marks on them some of which seemed like they were put on at the factory. These are NOT the marks you want to allign... Use the marks which are indented on the sides of the pulleys instead.

I assume the white paint mark were put on by mechanics removing and reinstalling the timing belt while servicing the engine in the past.

Duh!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom