1HDFT Steering seems Hard After Overhaul of the Steering Rack (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
There used to be a clunk each time i would go over a small pothole etc and the sound would come from the steering it self as if some thing is broken inside , My mechanic said its coming from the steering rack and he opened it up , The rubber bushings inside were shot he replaced those with OEM bushings and now the steering feels quite hard he said you have to drive it a bit for it to become normal again .

I was told that some Diesel Variants LC 80 have a motor attached to the steering rack or some thing , could it be they forgot to re attach the wires etc .

some help would be appreciated as to dial down the cause of this hard steering wheel .

the power steering was working as normal before the bushes were changed - the power steering oil level is okay as well .no leaks , the belts are also fine .

Is the steering box over tightened? There is an adjustment screw and lock nut on top. I dont know anything about electric motors , as far as I know all the power for the steering comes from the power steering pump. I cant see any rubber bushing inside the steering box. Only a few o rings.
Generally speaking, the steering should feel normal. If its too hard , he should fix it.

This is the steering box.
1616389999665.png

yes my steering box also has some kind of a solenoid in it - yes it might be that the adjustment night is over tightended . will check and revert back

The electric solenoid is fitted on higher end models and basically made the steering heavier above a set speed (60kph?). What you are describing doesn’t indicate that solenoid being the problem.

If your mechanic thinks your 80 has a steering rack and furthermore says he's worked on it, get a new mechanic

@ AussieHJCruza, 100% bang on, He's DEFFO NOT A MECHANIC, if he thinks there's a STEERING RACK, on an 80 series, To MY Knowledge their ALL Pas Boxes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom