1989 Mitsubishi Montero 4dr 3.0 5sp 4x4 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1989 as you see in the title anyway my engine went out at 126000 I just put all new seats and bumpers 2 doors and a front fender and rear door, plus sway bar bushings and Idler arm bushings, brakes and wheelbearings all around. so I need a engine and the ones I find our from 89 to 91 Monteros and they want $1,600 for them with more mileage than what mine had, does anyone know of a 3.0 v6 from another vehicle that will work, also when I turn corners in it before the engine died I could here a grinding noise in the rear that is why I replaced the rear wheel bearings, but it did not fix it, so would you know what the problem would be? I wanted to get it set up to take it way down to southern Mexico, if I did that is there a complete drivetrain that would bolt right up? or would I need to piece it together to get the right set up??? :confused:

I have a 1989 as you see in the title anyway my engine went out at 126000 I just put all new seats and bumpers 2 doors and a front fender and rear door, plus sway bar bushings and Idler arm bushings, brakes and wheelbearings all around. so I need a engine and the ones I find our from 89 to 91 Monteros and they want $1,600 for them with more mileage than what mine had, does anyone know of a 3.0 v6 from another vehicle that will work, also when I turn corners in it before the engine died I could here a grinding noise in the rear that is why I replaced the rear wheel bearings, but it did not fix it, so would you know what the problem would be? I wanted to get it set up to take it way down to southern Mexico, if I did that is there a complete drivetrain that would bolt right up? or would I need to piece it together to get the right set up??? :confused:

The grinding noise in the rear could be from a LSD locker. check the drivers door jam and look for an orange sticker that warns of a locker.
If you do not add an oil modifier to the oil in the rear axel it will make a grinding clonking sound.
it sounds like you did a lot of work to your truck
I have an 89 with 3.0 shorty they are fun trucks

:cheers: