Builds 1972 FJ40 Restoration Project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So you bought two of everything??After your study you can send me the rejects he he ... good work did you end up using the oem stuff

Blasted Parts - Progress Update

I haven't posted an update lately so I thought I should share a few photos showing my slow but steady progress. A friend let me use his media blasting cabinet and here are the results.

I'm going to powder coat the valve cover Cardinal P141-BK03 BLK-TEX Semi Gloss - It's a semi gloss textured black. The air cleaner is going to be coated a satin black and I going to use a BBQ black spray paint for the exhaust manifold. The engine mounts will be the same color as the engine -- Bill Hirsch black paint.

2F Valve Cover & F Intake Manifold
303811_large.jpg

F Exhaust Manifold, 2F Motor Mounts, 3 Speed Transmission Mounts
303812_large.jpg

F Air Cleaner Assembly
303813_large.jpg

Painted 2F Block

About two months ago the weather was nice enough to paint the block. I used Bill Hirsch paint. Here are a couple photos:

303814_large.jpg

303815_large.jpg

Time to get the 3 speed bell housing off the old block and get it cleaned up. It's been awhile but I think I recall seeing that the 3 speed flywheel was missing a tooth or two. Time to clean more parts and buy more parts.

Last edited:
new shiny nice!

Nice photo documentation,

Man all those shiny new engine parts..yummy!!!!

Last edited:
Nice work and attention to detail. That will be a mighty fine rig when you get it all done.

Resurfaced Flywheel

Wish I had more progress to share but here's a picture of the resurfaced 3-speed flywheel. I also had it balanced. $30 for resurfacing and $30 for balancing. Notice the step resurfacing.
316678_large.jpg

I also picked up misc parts this weekend from Stevinson Toyota in Lakewood, CO and organized my work area so that I could figure out what still needs to be done.
316676_large.jpg

Manifold assembly:
316677_large.jpg

And the best pictures of all, my constant companion:
316680_large.jpg

316681_large.jpg

:cheers:

I've pulled the 3,0ltr B diesel motor out of my 1979 40 and am in the process of doing a full body off restoration and replacing the B diesel with a completely rebuilt 2F.

There were a few issues with differing engine and gearbox mountings - but nothing too serious.

Last edited:
Nice looking motor but, was there a reason why you posted pictures of your build in this thread?:confused: You should probably start your own build thread.

Sorry for hijacking your thread :whoops: I'll delete

2F Motor Installed

This past Tuesday night I was able to install the 2F motor into my cruiser. I did it alone using a fellow Rising Sun 4x4 member's engine hoist and everything went very smoothly. When I got home from work tonight, I put in the 3 speed flywheel and etched and painted the clutch fork and bellhousing side covers. To install the clutch disk and pressure plate, I need to borrow a friend's alignment tool so I'll get to that this Saturday. I'll take some pictures this weekend and add them to this posting.

I also need to give a lot of credit to Coolerman for documenting his build so well. I have referenced his Website numerous times and have found the information very useful for my project. Here's a link to the Home page of his FJ40 project: Main Page

So, thanks Coolerman!!!:cheers:

2F Motor Installed

Just thought I would post a few photos of the 2F installed. Since these were taken, I have also installed the fan, shrowd, radiator, mechanical oil pressure gauge and exhaust. More pics to come soon.

325618_large.jpg

325619_large.jpg

325617_large.jpg

Last edited:
I like the valve cover.

Thanks. I had the cover powder coated with Cardinal P141-BK03 BLK-TEX Semi Gloss - It's a semi gloss textured black. It's a nice contrast to the standard black air cleaner and I think it looks aggressive.

Here are the latest photos of my 2F rebuild progress. FJ60 side cover is painted and attached. Rebuilt carb and dizzy are back from Jim C. Starter installed. Exhaust system in place. Now waiting on a few more parts.

327149_large.jpg

327150_large.jpg

Looks great! All these beautiful 2F's lately have started inspiring me to rebuild my own. Just when I thought I was done.:rolleyes:

Jeremy

Adjusted the valves, installed the FJ60 ignition, starter, hoses, aircleaner, water pump/alternator belt and accelerator cable. Now I'm getting the headlights, side markers and tail lights working so as soon as my new gas tank arrives from SOR it should be ready to fire up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom