Builds 1972 FJ40 Restoration Project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It's ALIVE Again!

Started up the rebuilt 2F for the first time today just long enough to move it from the driveway into the garage under its own power!!! I'll do the 20 minute new motor break-in tomorrow and make any needed adjustments.

After I had the Cruiser in the garage, I thought I'd try the blinkers again, without it running, because I couldn't get them to work earlier. The drivers side brake light wouldn't work either. To my surprise, all the lights are now magically working! I think it was the Cruisers way of saying thanks for bringing it back to life.

:steer:

With my 2F engine swap, my plan is to use the existing 3 speed transmission for now -- do I simply bolt the the old '72 bell housing, clutch, etc to the '75 2F block?

Yes simple bolt up. Check the clutch, fly wheel, throwout bearing, and pilot bearing while your in there. Also look at the rear main engine seal, easy to replace at this point though it's best to drop the oil pan to replace it so get an oil pan gasket too! That then gives you a chance to look at the inside of the engine for possible problems. Oh and check the freeze plug on the rear of head. :D

Correct me, but I thought that with a stock F engine and 3 speed transmission a different pressure plate/ flyweel/ and clutch plate would be needed so it would not work with a 2f.
To replace a 1F/3 speed combo to a 2F/3speed, the 2F and the 2F bell housing and clutch needed to be swapped over.

So in short, a 2F will not bolt to an F bell housing with a 3 speed clutch and tranny.

Correct me, but I thought that with a stock F engine and 3 speed transmission a different pressure plate/ flyweel/ and clutch plate would be needed so it would not work with a 2f.
To replace a 1F/3 speed combo to a 2F/3speed, the 2F and the 2F bell housing and clutch needed to be swapped over.

So in short, a 2F will not bolt to an F bell housing with a 3 speed clutch and tranny.

The F or 2F flywheels will interchange on either motor, BUT, if the F flywheel is used then ALL the clutch parts for the F flywheel must be used. Same goes for the 2F flywheel/clutch.

The 3sp bellhousing will bolt up to either motor, but must be used with the 3sp tranny. The 4sp bellhousing will also bolt up to either motor, but will only fit the 4 sp tranny.

Last edited:
Beautifull. Amazing as much as I'm on MUD I've never seen this thread. You did a really good job. Paint turned out really good. Love the comparisons of OEM vs aftrmkt.

I wonder if the matte finish on the bearings is so they hold oil better? I want to say when I did mine with aftrmkt bearings they had that finish. I'll have to do some checking and see.

Let's see some pics of it all hooked up.

Project Update

Sorry for not posting any pics of my progress since I got the project running back in July. I enjoyed driving the reborn FJ40 from Aug.-Nov. and then decided to replace the dented front fenders, rusted bib and mangled bezel with some good used parts. Since I had the front end off, I decided to clean up the frame and coat it with some POR 15. I also wire wheeled and painted the OEM front shocks. Sandblasted and painted the front bumper and rear bumperettes as well as the rear crossmember. Installed new poly bushings all around and installed some CCOT Greasable Tri Shackles. I'm also replacing one of the sagging front leaf springs -- more derusting and painting. I'll take more pics soon and post them up. For now, here are a few photos of the Cruiser's maiden voyage around Boulder, CO back in July.

340736_large.jpg

340737_large.jpg

340738_large.jpg

340739_large.jpg

340740_large.jpg

Happy Holidays!

Great informaiton here. I am rebuilding a 2F for my 1969. I dont know what to do about the transmission. Should I go 3 on the tree of swap out for 4 on the floor? Any advice on what you would do differently?
George

Great informaiton here. I am rebuilding a 2F for my 1969. I dont know what to do about the transmission. Should I go 3 on the tree of swap out for 4 on the floor? Any advice on what you would do differently?
George

I stayed with the 3 speed because I didn't want to do the conversion to the 4 speed -- new tranny, bell housing, clutch parts, moving the center cross member, new drive shafts, linkage, etc. I also already had the 3 speed shifter on the floor.

Never mind. That's your oil pressure gauge. I'm a moron before noon. Beer's on me:beer::beer::beer:

I sent a few pictures of the Cruiser running again to the PO who blew it up and that was his favorite photo -- seeing both the speedo at 55 MPH and the oil pressure at almost 60 psi. :cheers:

I think I will just restore to 3 on the tree. Later it will give me another excuse to spend quality time with rusty my fj40. Then I can do a 4 on the floor.

Update Photos

Slow but steady progress...

Cleaned the frame down to bare metal and applied POR15 from the cowl forward. Did the inside of the frame while I had the engine out.
342033_large.jpg

342034_large.jpg

Wire wheeling the steering tie rods
342035_large.jpg

Cleaned up and repainted the steering stablizer
342036_large.jpg

Picked up a good, used, free replacement leaf spring for the sagging left front - cleaned each leaf and painted with POR15
342037_large.jpg

to be continued...

I sent a few pictures of the Cruiser running again to the PO who blew it up and that was his favorite photo -- seeing both the speedo at 55 MPH and the oil pressure at almost 60 psi. :cheers:

He probably wants is back now huh?:doh:

I love the way you worked from the inside out on this project. At some point it will be one of the best-running rust-proof stock 40s with dented fenders, faded paint, and a rusty bezel on the road. Dont judge a book by its cover. :cheers:

He probably wants is back now huh?

When I asked the PO if he'd like to drive it again he said definitely but wanted to wait until the restoration was further along so there would be more at risk! :eek:

On a side note, wire wheeling and grinding sucks! Someday I'll go back and redo everything the right way by sand/media blasting the frame, diffs, etc. Yesterday my daughter :princess: asked when she'll be able to ride in "Pickle" again so I need to pick up the pace and get the Cruiser back on the road. :steer:

is there any updates on this thread

First Reply to the Board

I thank all for the response. Looks like a really neat site, must learn to navigate. Here is my Cruiser Story. This 72 was bought and kept in one family in Vegas from 72 until 2004 when a fellow bought it and transported it to North Ga. Very minor rust, had an old face lift along the way. Has a Chevy 305 from a 76 truck, other than that it is mostly original. I drove it last summer but decided to really clean it up this year. Just pulled the top half off the 305 and did a rebuild. Building it to drive and play but not in the woods, have other toys for that. Looking forward to finding others who have done it, so I don't recreate the wheel. Pics to come.
yotamudin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom